• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Game Developer 1

[4E4] OpenGL 2.0 Support?

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all. A friend and I are working on an entry in an engine he's written. He's written it so that the effects will be handled by GLSL Shaders based on the OpenGL 2.0 specs. How much OpenGL support can we expect? Can we expect that we can use GL 2.0? Also, will assembly shaders be allowed? We plan to do parallax mapping and motion blur with shaders, and also most of our other effects. Thanks in advance, David

Advertisement
GLSL via extensions is probably reasonable to assume, but GL 2.0 shaders (which is GLSL 1.1, strictly speaking) are probably a little rocky...

Quote:
Original post by skittleo
Look at the mininum requirements. If your game requires higher, you risk losing technical and polish points.

No, the consequence of demanding more then the minimum requirements is that the game might end up with all zeros from some judges because they could not run it.

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Michalson
Quote:
Look at the mininum requirements. If your game requires higher, you risk losing technical and polish points.

No, the consequence of demanding more then the minimum requirements is that the game might end up with all zeros from some judges because they could not run it.

True. That is the worst case scenario. I was referring to the case where some may be able to run it but others cannot.

So was I - "from some judges". No where have we stated that polish and technical points are related to minimum system requirements, mainly because they are not. There are no points awarded based on the entries minimum requirements, only points that may become physically impossible to evalulate because the entry cannot be run on a judges machine. But if you think you know something I don't know about the judging, be my guest.

ok, im confused now. The latest driver from nVidia for a GeForce3 supports OpenGL 2.0, so doesn't that mean GLSL shaders should run on the card? I really need to figure this out because we don't have time for a re-write.

I'm just kinda confused, cause im not a programmer, so could someone explain this to me.

Quote:
Original post by Game Developer 1
ok, im confused now. The latest driver from nVidia for a GeForce3 supports OpenGL 2.0, so doesn't that mean GLSL shaders should run on the card? I really need to figure this out because we don't have time for a re-write.

I'm just kinda confused, cause im not a programmer, so could someone explain this to me.

The minimum specs say GeForce2 if that makes a difference. They also list OGL 1.1, so I wouldn't try for higher than that (without providing fallbacks) unless you want to risk your entry potentially not running on one or more of the judge's computers.

You can view the suggested minimum system requirements on the 4E4 Contest Page.

the minimum specs state a gf2, which provides hardware multi-texturing, yet the specs also state opengl1.1 which does not contain multi-texturing abilities. for that we need to get opengl 1.3 extensions.

is it reasonable to assume that the cards have multi-texturing extensions? just 2 texture units ofcourse.

**edit** i am aware it is possible to do multi-texturing through multiple passes but i don't think i can spare the time to add that code in.

Pretty much everything has multitexturing with 2 texture units. This includes Geforce2, and even Geforce2 MX (Or is this just a slower version of Geforce 2)?

There are also many other extensions which may be useful and are usable, like point parameters, non power-of-two textures etc.

Using (fragment program, pixel shader) shaders seems dodgy though, your game should be able to work without them (Mine won't be using any)

Mark

One of the Staff said that we could expect GF3 as a min spec, and the rules were out of date - pixel shaders were promised as available. But since they haven't updated the rules I'd PM someone in authoruty and ask them to make it clearer.

I'm sure they'll have some higher-specced PCs because they'll want to test how hard people can push the hardware, but I would hope they'll have at least one low-end PC to punish those who submit their current 3D engine which demands high-end PS.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!