Game Production????

Started by
3 comments, last by Adraeus 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm trying to get into video game production and would like some advice on how to accomplish this goal of mine. I'm just about to finish my AA and was considering attending an Art institution to study design, hoping it will help me get into production. If anyone could please give me advice on becoming a producer I would be grateful. Thank you, Ryan
Advertisement
Might be best to come up through QA...
Producers are project managers. Why study design when you can study project management? Your chances of getting into production increase if you have a business degree and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification. Of course, nothing counts more than relevant experience in the video game industry.
1. Get a degree
2. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson42.htm
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
If you read through the article Obscure linked, you'll find a lot of planning topics. Planning marketing needs and quality assurance cycles, for example, requires knowledge of those subjects, which makes starting from the tarpit (QA) and climbing around the corporate tree until you reach production so attractive. In certain companies, the producer is empowered with hiring/firing capabilities. This allows the producer a greater at-will delegation authority, which permits the producer to facilitate production responsibilities; however, delegation is where proficiency and experience with project management comes in handy since managing personnel necessitates an entirely different skillset than planning, budgeting, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement