• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jungle Boy

Edge vs Edge Collision Detection

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks I have implemented collision detection for the case of vertex vs face (in the tri-tri scene) through the Badouel's algorithm for ray(vertex)-tracing. I do the tracing with final e initial position of the vertices and test against the faces. It gives me not very fast way to find collisions but a very accurate method. In the same way, i'm looking for a method to test edge vs edge. Any help will be appreciated, thx.

Advertisement
Two edges travelling...

Let's have two segment [A0, B0], and [A1, B1]

the point of collision Pcoll will satisfy the equations

Pcoll = A0 + u * D0
Pcoll = A1 + v * D1 + Vrel * tcoll

where D0 = (B0 - A0), D1 = (B1 - A1)

Edge0 is assumed to be static, Vrel being the realtive velocity of edge1 from edge0 (Vrel = V1 - V0).

and

0 < u < 1
0 < v < 1
0 < t < 1

three unknown, only one equation :/

alternatively.

If edge1, that is travelling, is to collide with edge 0, then edge1, at the moment of collision will be in the plane [D0 x D1, A0].

To find the time edge1 hits that plane, it's a simple raytrace.

N = (D0 x D1)
t = ((A0 - A1) . N) / (Vrel . N)

if 0 < t < 1, then no collison.

To find the distance between the segments at the time of impact, it's quite simple, it the usual 3D line-line intersection / distance calculation. That will give you the u and v from above, that you can check for bounds.

So, you are planning to use ray casting for detect collisions on a physics simulation?
I've heard about that topic early. The question is if that method is better than any distance algorithm?

Distace algorithms are like GJK, separating axis, voronoi and so.

And about ray casting, it seems that True Axis Engine applies it on its collision detection process. At this time, True Axis Engine shows better performance that others engines around the corner, like Newton or ODE.

But, anybody knows some paper that explain an optimized method for raycasting?
Ray should be the velocities? or the path of each vertex during a time step?

Hi leoptimus

Sorry my delay.

I'm doing my first engine and i chose ray rasting for intersections just because it looks good hehe i don't know about performance between ray rasting and others...

Badouel's algorithm for ray-casting: http://graphics.cs.msu.su/courses/cg_el99/intersect.html
i'm using it, a very fast way...

Quote:
Edge0 is assumed to be static, Vrel being the realtive velocity of edge1 from edge0 (Vrel = V1 - V0).

But the velocity varies along the edge, should i use the midpoint's velocity to calculate the vel from an edge?

varies along the edge?

Oh, you don't want to do that... Most collision detection works with uniform translations only. No rotations. Else it becomes much much much... more complicated.

but... but... how the collision detection will work without rotation? just imagine a cube rotating, not translating, i'll never get a collision.

I can't figure out how to make the collision detections work without time-slicing in the case of edge-edge. Perphaps generating a volume with vertices of edge1(t0) edge1(t1) and testing it against edge0... i don't know how to proceed :/

or should i wait the delivery of Real-time Collision Detection from amazon? -.-

that will give you lots of pointers, yeah.

There are loads more techniques, an obvious one would be to intersect polygons (or edge with triangles) between your rotating cube and whatever you want to collide with. Another is the method of separating axes.

There are more techniques descrbed in Christer's book.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!