Masters dissertation topic help

Started by
10 comments, last by intrest86 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by girish
Thanks for the suggestions... I am definitely more interested in the technical side of online gaming and am looking more at the networking issues. Maybe even something related to the security aspects of online gaming. I don't think a game engine would be a good idea simply cause it would be too big, as I need to submit my dissertation by December 2005.

You are submitting your masters dissertation by the end of the year and you're still stuck on a topic? Having been in a similar situation, I really do wish you the best of luck! [wink] (Is your masters course the 18-24 month course it is over here? You would be nearing the write-up stage I'd guess.)

To get back to helping you pick a topic, the security aspects of online gaming would be a good topic for a research thesis. I'd spend about half of the dissertation reviewing the security systems already available, then perhaps (as an idea) spend the next half suggesting a new method for security or data validation. You'd also probably want to mock up a quick prototype of a new idea (doesn't have to be anything complex; take a simple online game that you have the source to and add your code to it). You don't have to implement anything flashy for research purposes. I can't really suggest anything specific as networking isn't my forte.

Wishing you the best of luck again!

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by girish
intrest86, I really like your suggestion about the distributed game networks. Is the topic you mentioned (in the Networking forum) based on the article on Distributed Gaming by Omar A. Abdelwahed? I searched for 'distributed game networks' on the gamedev search and got that as the first search result. Any other article/link you can point me to, where I can read some more about the topic?

The topic I was referring to is this one. It was just a general set of ideas and people debating if there was any merit in the concept. Feel free to start a new topic on this, I would be interested in talking about it. I feel the last discussion ended prematurely.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement