Sign in to follow this  
DragonXXIV

Best Free 2d Game Engine?

DragonXXIV    122
I'm looking for a good, free 2D game engine. The project is a moderized version of a classic RPG; high quality pre-rendered 3D graphics, cinematics, high sound quality, etc. I have no programming experience, but am more than happy to learn. The prefferable language I would like to use is Java, but C++ will also work.

nilkn    960
If you don't have prior programming experience, Game Maker seems like a good choice.

I used it many years ago and found it pretty fun to work with.

EDIT: Actually, if you're making an RPG, I recommend buying either Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind, and using their respective toolsets. Each one is really nice and gives a ton of flexibility. I think Morrowind's tools are more versatile, but Neverwinter Night's are definately much more easy and straightforward.

[Edited by - nilkn on July 21, 2005 8:19:26 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
The best of the best, ALLEGRO (C/C++) http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

and be sure to check out http://www.allegro.cc/

Chad Smith    1343
2D?

Try rpgtoolkit.

www.rpgtoolkit.com. Has it's own very easy script language. I learned the script language in 5 days. Object Oriented Programing. Their scripting language is getting bigger. It is also open source.

Chad

xtremeprog05    154
I suggest that if you dont already have any programming skills, dont bother trying to learn any graphics programming yet. Unless of course if your planning on using a non-programming tool like Game Maker (though I believe it has its own language). If your planning on programming your game, try to make a few text console games first.