• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Themonkster

looking to create animations from ingame

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys, Anyone know of an engine that will allow me to create animations with boned characters in game. 2D or 3D. I have googled and goolged and found nothing. thanks. Monk

Advertisement
Look at skeletal animation with Jakobsen physics. I have some experience with keyframe based skeletal animation in 2D so if you have any specific questions, drop me an email.

thanks, I think I need to get my math and my physics up to scratch before I go any further with it.

I was hoping there was a library I could use but it seems not.

all I want is the players/owners of my game to be able to mod the player movements from with in the game.

I guess I am gonna have to read up on it some more.

Cheers

Monk

Well if you plan on implementing this yourself, then I suggest you get the mathematics down before you start. In particular I recommend you read up on Matrix math (and matrix operations eg multiplication), Quaternions, forward kinematics, inverse kinematics (in particular Cyclic Co-ordinate Descent or CCD for short) and finally skinning.

Most of the info you'll get off the web is presented only in 2D but is easily extensible to 3D.

Quaternions can be hard at first (and probably only required for 3D anyways) but they rule for keyframing.

Skinning is the processing of applying a mesh to a bone hierarchy, its easy enough to understand - the basic idea is that each vertex has several bone weights associated. If you know shaders then the process can be offloaded to the GPU for speed.

Solving IK iterately is by far the easiest solution, other solutions are going to cause you a head-ache if math isn't your best subject.

As for keyframing you'll need interpolation for each bone (for quaternions use slerp-interpolation) and an interface for the user to select keyframes and the amount of time between each frame.

Finally a starting tip for you is to think about how you can create a skeletal hierarchy, a good system will make considerations for different types of bones (ball joints, pivots, sliding joints etc), the ability to attach non-bone objects to them - such as guns/staffs/torches and be able to create bone constrains to limit movement.

Hope that helped :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!