• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DevLiquidKnight

Drunken Effect for Games

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You know how in a few games now of days such as guild wars. When you drink ale, beer, or alcohol, the screen tends to get wobbly first, then the sides of it begin to blur, and the camera causes motion blur effects on everything when its moved. I believe it uses post-processing in directx, yet I have never seen how to make this exact effect. Does anyone know of any examples, articles, tutorials, ect., describing how to produce this sort of effect? [Edited by - DevLiquidKnight on July 22, 2005 10:15:06 PM]

Advertisement
I haven't seen the specific effect you are talking about but you can get something similar by copying the previous frame to a texture and then applying that texture on top of the current frame buffer using alpha blending.

JohnBolton is describing a well known blur technique that can look really trippy when the alpha blending factor is low enough.

You may want to look into refraction to distort the screen in certain areas (remember that bubble screen saver in windows 98?). This is a post processing effect that is implemented using shaders.

I haven't seen this exact effect either, but as John says, a basic motion blur effect can be done by blending old frames on top of new ones. Additionally for further funkyness, rather than using a single quad to overlay the blur, use a grid and distort it. You'll be thinking you dropped acid in no time.

That's called tunnel vision. Personally, I've never seen the effects from alcohol IRL. It might also help to slightly distort your field of view so that objects look farther away in the center of the camera. Ermm, fish-eye, I guess.

Hi DevLiquidKnight,
I love the fact that you spelt "Drunken" as "Druken" in the title of this thread, it is so apt :)

Yours, a fellow piss artist,
Cambo_frog

Quote:
Original post by skittleo
Really? I hardly drink, but when I have I always get serious tunnel vision.

It probably just doesn't hit me until I'm too wasted to remember the experience :)

By the way, Deus Ex had a really cool drunk effect. The screen effect wasn't that great, but they messed with the view and wobbled the camera around a little. That part was very realistic.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!