• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
conman

How much video memory should/can I spent on textures?

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'd like to know, if our game uses to much high res textures, so I want to measure this by keeping track of the loaded textures. What percentage of the whole memory would be the limit? I know that depends on how much other things are stored in video memory (back buffer...), but is there maybe a rule of thumb for this? Thanks, Constantin

Advertisement
I really don't believe there is such a thing, it all depends on what you do, games commonly need to send the same texture each frame to the videomemory because it has been flushed out due to low memory...

Nothing strange about it... but really, the question you should be asking is, what computer you are targetting and how small you can make the textures without loosing the great quality.

Rule number one really is, make the textures as small as possible, if you think you can make it half the size without loosing any major quality... do it.

(Differ between currently used textures and textures loaded, textures that are loaded are not necessarily available in the video memory)

Personally after developing a 3d title for about a month, my test release ran fine on people with greath vid. cards (60-70fps), but on my lowley 128meg geforce only got like 10-15fps.

I found the bottleneck was indeed my disregard for texture optimization and having pretty much all 512x512 textures (amounting to ~128 meg)...but reducing like 70% of these with no real image degredation to 256x256 i get like 20-25 fps at the most geometrically intense areas...

Long story short, texture size is indeed crucial - and if your going to assume a certain video card you really should make that known and target that.

If ya wanna try out the two version's i mentioned check out my site,
www.tobinsgames.com

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!