• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lemansir

learning a game engine or a language

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've finished reading articles and information on the forums, and they not only answer a lot of questions, but also bring more to mind. My big question is can you produce a commercial quality game just using one of the game engines suggested on the beginner's forum without 1st knowing a programming language (in my case C#)? Their sites suggest that they have their own "built-in" language, such that another language, like C#, is not required. What is the opinion of the group? To help with your thoughts, what I want to do is develop military games on battles such as Bull Run, Waterloo, El Alamein etc. Thanks

Advertisement
You won't be able to use an engine without knowledge of *programming* though that doesn't mean you need to know any specific languages. It depends upon the engine but you'll probably need to know (or have to learn) the language the engine is written in if you want to do something big with it, certainly pretty much every free engine I've seen requires you to use the language the engine is written in (usually C++) in order to use the engine, they may have a scripting module but it doesn't allow you to completely control the engine. There are engines where you can just use a built-in scripting language though. Unreal is one that comes to mind, you can easily create a full game using just UScript without having to touch any C++ however the licence for the Unreal engine is not cheap.

Being specific, I was looking at the "Dark Basic" site. Is it an engine and a form of the basic language, or just an engine? Do you know anything about it? I know that it is not free.

I don't know too much about Dark Basic but I'd classify as a language. However there will something you can call an engine behind the scenes somewhere and the Dark Basic language is effectively being a scripting language for it. Blitz Basic is another similar product, I have little experience with both Dark Basic and Blitz Basic, but I've heard Blitz is a nicer language.

If you want to make a game you're gonna end up programming somewhere, it may not be in a language such as C++, it may not even be a language at all (e.g. you could have some sort of flowchart system) but you can guarantee you'll have to do some programming unless you're doing something such as making a mod and you'll need is new artwork and maps.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually not trying to get out of learning to program. In fact, I have standard C# and just started working through a couple of intro books. When I came across the engine links on this forum it caught my interest. Wow, already developed engines. However, it was not clear if Dark Basic was a language and an engine, or just an engine. I know that you need to learn a language in order to seriously create games. But, it doesn't seem to matter if it is Dark Basic (if it is a full language) or C#! Either way, it's going to be a lot of work, but work I'm looking forward to doing.

Thanks again - Les

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!