• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Grahf750

sdl and text boxes

This topic is 4863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just begun learning sdl. I know how to display bitmaps and text and get input from the user to move stuff around. I have yet to find a tutorial on how to add a text box, button, check box, etc. can this be done in sdl or must I code my own?

Advertisement
You might have to write your own, since SDL doesn't provide support for that sort of thing. If you're using Windows, you might be able to use the Win32 API with it to do that sort of thing. I'm not entirely sure how to do that, however, since I haven't used the Win32 API in a while, and I've never really used it with SDL. However, I do know that you can use SOME of it, at least, with SDL, and you can use DirectX with it, too.

One of the good/bad things about SDL is that it is designed to be portable (run on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc). Unfortunately each of these systems handles things like buttons, check boxes, etc. differently, so SDL doesn't really have functions for using them. I created my own (it's not that difficult to do), but there are some libraries out there. I think Crazy Eddies GUI works with SDL (could be wrong though). Go to the SDL site and do a search for GUI in the libraries section, it might turn up something.

Also try a google search for the terms SDL GUI, it should turn up some possibilities.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!