Linux Distros

Started by
6 comments, last by grofaz 18 years, 9 months ago
I've been fooling with ubuntu lately and I really like linux a lot. Now I'm wondering what some of the other Distros have to offer ? So, what Distros do other linux fans use and why? :)
Advertisement
there's plenty of good distro's out there. it all comes down to needs and personal preference. i stared out using slackware, but i found i prefer debian for a desktop due to apt-get and the official repositories containing 15,000+ packages.
This space for rent.
I use fedora (based on redhat), but ive been using redhat since about redhat 4 (or 3?). I picked redhat since at the time it was the most userfriendly linux I could get my hands on. Suse and slackware were others I tried but I didn't like them. So I stuck with redhat. I haven't changed since I like it and know how it works. It suits my firewall / web / email server purposes just fine.

And fedora has yum. Its similar to apt-get. Much better then just plain old rpm.

And damnsmalllinux booting off a usb drive.
Cause its a <50mb live cd that has helped out much on my keychain.

But I think there are far too many distros out there, with little variance from one to another.
cloakwww.theblackroom.ca
i use debian sarge testing *not the new stable one*

with the 2.6 kernel

but: in order to get opengl running you need to know how to compile are kernel otherwise i suggest you use suse the hardware manufacturers offer precompiled kernels for suse and red hat for their drivers

if you are just programming then i suggest you to use debian
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
I use gentoo www.gentoo.org, because I like the idea of compiling the entire operating system to your exact computer specifications (though the install time isnt' so great). I also love the portage system.
Quote:Original post by Modena_au
I use gentoo www.gentoo.org, because I like the idea of compiling the entire operating system to your exact computer specifications (though the install time isnt' so great). I also love the portage system.

Same here. Gentoo is quite nice, but it takes like two days to install.
What's this got to do with programming? Reported for movement to GDNet Lounge or Everything Unix. Remember people, there IS more than "General Programming"!!!

I use Debian for my server
Just wanted to know what general programmers are using for linux distros, that's all.

Gentoo sounds cool, I was looking at it too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement