• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lacan

Looking for some practical experience

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I didn't know if this should go here or in the Help Wanted forums. I'm a newbie interested in designing and programming games. I have a little knowledge of C++ and very little experience. I'm looking for a programming team that would be willing to let me work with them on a game for some practical experience. Or maybe links to another site with information about working with other programmers on game programming. Any assistance or information would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement
I too am a beginner But I have made a few little games. I am planning on creating a snes style rpg with nice looking prerendered 3d sprites. It will be a while before I get to this project, and in the fall when classes start back I will have little time to work on it. But you are welcome to join in work with me on it the more the merrier. I am still working on drafting a written up document describing the game.

have you made any games at all in the past? what graphics library are you familiar with? If none which one are you interested in becoming familiar with?
Are you a good artist? I am a little below average in the art department hehe :(

You are probably looking for more experienced people to work with and learn from so dont feel obligated to accept my offer.

I have very little experience in programming, that's the reason I made this post so I could get more experience in actually putting what I learn into a program and working on a team.

I have no skills, that I know of, to work on a game without a helping hand so i'm not sure what I could do if I joined you on your project. If you can think of something I can do to actually help out a bit I am more then willing to work with you. Otherwise, thanks alot for your offer maybe I will be able to help out once I get more skill.

Thanks for the reply

Just start small, working by yourself. First, make Pong, Tetris, etc. Then move on to bigger stuff, like basic 3d stuff, and get a team then (for artwork and sound). You don't need to have a team to make Pong, so you can start doing that now.

Also try looking at the source code to various games.

You can help me finish my game in progress:

MY GAME

I would be happy to help you with any questions you have:

Contact Me

==========================

I have been thinking about also starting a game that is a little less ambitious than the one above....just a simple Tic-Tac-Toe game (Human vs AI -- then later Human vs Human over the internet)

What do you say?

I am doing all of my work in C# (.NET). If you don't have that then it may be difficult to help me (much).

Your best bet is to go and get a beginning game programmming book. Believe me it will get you started in the right direction.

Thanks guys. The only beginner game programming resource i've found is here,
http://www.eastcoastgames.com/cpp/chapter1.html. It's a pretty nice site and i'm learning alot from it. I've also been reading MUD Game Programming by Ron Penton, I figured once I got the hang of the easier game programs I could move to MUDs next and if anything learn a little networking.

I've also been swapping from learning game programming in C++ to just regular programming in C++, i've found that one goes into more detail on certain things more then the other, like my game programming book goes into inlining and freeing up memory more then any regular C++ book i've read.

Thanks for all the advice. I still plan on doing small projects on my own but I'd still like to join a team, because I feel it'll be a better learning experience and more fun.

L8er

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!