• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
-justin-

animation tutorial (c and dx)

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think I might have posted something about this before but I'm still quite clueless. I would like to get a tutorial on animation as I'm not quite sure how to do it... Yes I know how to animate an image... I'm talking about moving a character around with various animation states. Like idle, walking1, walking2, walking will firing... etc I get the general idea but I'd like a more thorough explanation. I'm using direct3d (more specifically D3DXSPRITE) and of course C.

Advertisement
i thought u can use some programm like 3dmax to do the animation then put it into the game :D. Can some1 confirm that?? Im a noob as well :D

You're talking about 2D animation, right Justin? If so, you're probably not going to want to use D3DXSPRITE, as it is pretty limiting (from my understanding).

I talked about setting up an animation system a while back here (it starts a little off topic, but gets there after a bit).

Take a read and let me know if you get the idea or not.

Matt Hughson

Quote:
Original post by Tutukun
i thought u can use some programm like 3dmax to do the animation then put it into the game :D. Can some1 confirm that?? Im a noob as well :D

Yeah that's the idea for 3D stuff.

hmm, yea sorry i didn't clarify; yes i'm talking about 2d

i know how to output an image, i know how to animate using D3DXSPRITE; however, i'm not sure how to do gamestates

i have been thinking about it though and thought of a function like this:

animatePerson(int lastFrame, int nextFrame, int startFrame, int option)

i dunno, i'm just quite confused... if any1 could post some of the ideas they've used i'd be appreciative (or as asked before a tutorial would ROCK)

I hate to be difficult, but I'm still not sure what you are trying to do. When you say you are working on GameStates and Animation, do you mean like when the player is in a Jump state, you play the jump animation?

Matt Hughson

yea, that's what i meant... sorry, people weren't getting it earlier so i tried saying something else... guess that backfired

basically i'm just unsure of how to handle multiple animations for one "object" and would like some ideas

thanx

(sorry i'm not being clearer)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!