• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chris81

PSP team size and budget?

This topic is 4863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What do you think an appropriate team size and budget would be for a PSP game? More specifically, how many programmers do you think it would take to make a PSP game, from scratch, in ~2 years. I say from scratch because it seems almost all studios making PSP games write their own engine. Any ideas? I noticed there was a guy posting on GD.net that is working on Godfather for PSP...maybe you can lend some insight? Not that I am thinking about attempting this myself. I realize Sony only accepts somewhat established studios to be licensed. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Advertisement
Quote:
I realize Sony only accepts somewhat established studios to be licensed.

This is not neccesarily true. You can develope homebrew apps for you PSP. However the opensrc compiler available is still very crude. I don't think their even halfway done porting libc yet.

As for how long it would take. I'm not sure. It depends on what kind of graphics API you would have at your disposal. It would also depend on the programmers skill level. But two years sounds like enough time to develope a decent engine on almost any platform.

I'm not talking about homebrew apps. I'm talking an official PSP game, as if you had the full SDK.

I'm also not talking just an engine, but a full-blown, release-ready game, including a custom engine.

I've heard that developing for the PSP is on the same scale as developing for any other console since it is basically a miniature console+TV. So don't expect any lower costs/effort requirements simply because it is a handheld. Its different from say the Gameboy where you can get away with a smaller team because of limits on your content.

Sony EXPECTS fully featured 3D games for the PSP, and doesn't want anything less.

Guest Anonymous Poster
My impression is that a lot of people underestimated the challenges the PSP would present. We've had an excellent crop of launch titles and then something of a draught as everyone else catches up. I wonder how many PSP games have slipped. My guess is quite a few of them.

There is Renderware for PSP you know, so I guess not everyone is writing their own engines for it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!