• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bujcat

Need d3dx9_25.dll and d3d8thk.dll

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My application created with DirectX 9 SDK need files d3dx9_25.dll and d3d8thk.dll to run(and some other files). Is this normal? Shouldn't be enought to have DirectX installed on the platform where I want to run my game? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Make sure that the system you are tyring to run on has the latest version of DirectX.

Hmm.. well I know I havn't gotten the June 2005 SDK update.

So if someone compiles somehitng using the June 2005 SDK update, and sends my the .exe then it will fail to run via me not having d3dx9_25.dll.

Thats the only lead I have for you. Hope it helps.

First, check the settings (may vary depending on which compiler you use) to see that the include, lib lists have the sdk placed first. Like so:

include = dxsdk_currentversion/inc;....etc....
lib = dxsdk_currentversion/lib;....etc....

or you might be compiling against an older version if you have one.

Secondly, in the "redist" folder of the sdk you will find the dlls you need. Simply install them again. Also, make sure that you provide a link for the redist (or include it) with your application for the end user to install.

Isn't this why there is a stricky thread in this forum?
Because the d3dx9_xx.dll is missing and someone created an installer for obtaining it? (legal reasons I believe)

So either one packs it with the game, or uses that installer to get a hold of the file, as far as I know it is not available in the DirectX Run-Time Dist.

Quote:
Original post by Syranide
Isn't this why there is a stricky thread in this forum?
Because the d3dx9_xx.dll is missing and someone created an installer for obtaining it? (legal reasons I believe)

Yup, it is against the licence agreement to just redistribute d3dx9_xx.dll on it's own - you MUST use the DX Setup tools. The sticky thread mentioned provides a good solution to this.

Quote:
Original post by Syranide
So either one packs it with the game, or uses that installer to get a hold of the file, as far as I know it is not available in the DirectX Run-Time Dist.

That's pretty much it, just to add... I don't have any exact dates to hand, but the latest DX9.0c runtime is substantially older (Summer 2004?) than the introduction of D3DX as a dynamicly linked library. We, the developers, have to deal with it now [smile]

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!