[java] J2Se vs J2EE

Started by
9 comments, last by nas1982 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi guys, Sun site is so hard to find any usefull info on i feel. So i thought i'd ask here. What features are provided on J2SE and what extra are provided on J2EE? Is J2EE avaliable free? Thanks!
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
Advertisement
J2EE is for webservers and running jsp pages, unless you're writing high score tables or multiplayer servers you won't need it. J2EE is free but you'll need a webserver (and almost certainly database backend) to run it on which you may or may not be able to find free depending on what you're after.

J2SE is basically java for the desktop, and is what you want if you're writing games (and for good measure, LWJGL for OpenGL, OpenAL, FMOD support.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I'll move onto J2EE after i'm
up2 date with the Standard edition first.

Does J2SE contain libraries for working with XML?
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
J2EE is exclusively for implementing multi-tier enterprise applications. It consists of some specifications, technologies, and frameworks needed for a good solid business infrstructure.

It's extremely solid, robust and scalable. But as mentioned it's for developing big enterprise apps, so it's not that interesting for game/graphics programming.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Quote:Original post by Cacks
Does J2SE contain libraries for working with XML?

Yes, see the package org.xml.sax and http://java.sun.com/xml
Cool, thanks for the link!
not just that but when considering distributed programming, such as RMI and Remote object use J2EE. EJBs JSP etc. j2se just has less features and and API is smaller. I think in terms of game development, I see Java used for games mainly on wireless devices and for applets on the web. This can be done withe J2EE and the J2SE kit. however for wireless stuff applicatrion/games development you will need J2ME.
Believe it or not, Java was initially designed to be a programming language to build applications for Devices other than computers which it still is, such as TVs vidoes etc. No one knew due to its platform independency and its API it was going to become so powerful. And today its used in everything from smartcards to itv. and due to Sun Microsysytem comitment to opensource, its API is constantly being updated and added with new solutions to new and old problems, therefore most of the implementation is hidden and thus less coding for us guys. with the philosphy of "Not reinventing the wheel", it is predicted that the java API will one day become so big, that it will have a library per field in the API, i.e medical, chemistry, mechanics, and even better Graphics one.
So what cool applications can be done with J2EE then?

"such as RMI and Remote object" - What are these?

Thanks for the replies!

<3 Google

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement