• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cacks

Books- AI Wisdom & 3D Game Engine Architecture

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, a few questions about "3D Game Engine Architecture" by Eberly - 1.What API is the graphics is this book coded in? 2.What IDE are the projects created for MS VC++ .NET 2003? 3.Does it just deal with the graphics side of programming or does it cover sound & input? 4.If I read this book would I in theory be able to create my own 3d engine or just know how to use the WildMagic engine? What about AI books? I've seen on Amazon that AI programming Wisdom 1 & 2 have good ratings. Can I get peoples opinions? Is the 2nd book a 2nd Edition of the first? - Don't think it is but just in case. Thanks!

Advertisement
Hey, I can't help with Eberly's book, but AI Wisdom books are great.

If you're trying to learn how to build an agent "from A to Z", those arent good books for you though. The AI Wisdom books are much like the Game Programming Gems, they're very specific to a few problems.

Edit : Sorry, AI Wisdom 1 and 2 are totally different, its not the second edition of the first book. To see their content, you can browse their website.

What I would recommand you to get is Mat Buckland's "Programming Game AI By Example", its the best book I've seen in the beginners-intermediate range on AI.

Hope this helps

Eric

If you read 3DGEA, you'll be able to make a game engine designed just like the Wild Magic engine. It's basically one large design document for the WM engine.

Eberly's book is meant to be API agnostic - wild magic compiles on windows, mac and linux with OpenGL and has apparently been ported over to Direct3D as well.

I just bought the book a few days ago so I can't really help you with some of your questions. But from reading the first couple of chapters i'm really happy with it so far.

However, check out the author's website for a sample chapter from the book. You can also download all the source code from the book there - in case you want to take a look at it to see if it's what you're looking for.

If you want to get into AI, Programming Game AI By Example is the one to get. There isn't any contest at all.

I have both of the AI Wisdom books. Both are amazing. I'd recommend reading Game AI by Example first, then moving on to the wisdom books.

What specifications does the WildMajic engine have? Just out of interest.

In the Programming AI by example, is scripting with Lua difficult? Do u have to use some kind of interface to do this? Like JNI for Java? Is learning Lua difficult?

Thanks for the replies folks!

I think an excellent book concerned not with the AI algorithms themselves but with implementing the algorithms very flexibly and efficiently is AI Game Engine Programming. I loved that book -- it has lots of professional-quality code, discusses an absolutely massive variety of topics, and frankly is really enjoyable to read.

I really recommend you get it alongside an AI algorithm book (e.g., Programming Game AI By Example). I think not only will it help you implement some things for flexibly, but it's just a really insightful read as many topics discussed can be easily applied to non-AI problems.

HTH,
nilkn

Hey I checked amazon.com for 'AI Game Engine Programming'.

It seems like a real nice book.

I see there is some OpenGL code in the examples,
which is good for me cos i'm learning to work with OpenGL.

What do the example programs consist of?

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Original post by Cacks
Hey I checked amazon.com for 'AI Game Engine Programming'.

It seems like a real nice book.

I see there is some OpenGL code in the examples,
which is good for me cos i'm learning to work with OpenGL.

What do the example programs consist of?

Thanks for the help!

The book basically implements a computer-controlled Asteroids clone using quite a few different techniques, including state-based, fuzzy-state-based, message/state-based, etc. The last part actually discusses some more advanced algorithms such as genetic algorithms and influence maps, and does provide implementation of the game using those as well.

It's a really great book, and should help you out a lot.

Quote:
Original post by Cacks
In the Programming AI by example, is scripting with Lua difficult? Do u have to use some kind of interface to do this? Like JNI for Java? Is learning Lua difficult?

I've only played around with lua a bit, but from what i've seen it's easy to learn and use. There's a good article on getting started with lua here at gamedev.net. Make sure you read the article discussion link at the bottom of the article though, since the article is dealing with an older version of lua - so you need to make some minor changes to the source.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!