Getting Sytsem Info?

Started by
5 comments, last by pragma Fury 18 years, 8 months ago
How do I get system information, hardware information. Such as processor info, memory info, disk space, graphics card, I would like to do it through win32 and directx. I was looking at the SYSTEM_INFO structure but I don't know how to use it, it gives an example on msdn but it only gives me back weird numbers.
If you insist on saying "DUH", try to make a post that makes a little more sense
Advertisement
For disk space this looks like the function you'll need
BOOL GetDiskFreeSpaceEx(    LPCTSTR lpDirectoryName,	// pointer to directory name on disk of interest      PULARGE_INTEGER lpFreeBytesAvailableToCaller,	// pointer to variable to receive free bytes on disk available to the caller    PULARGE_INTEGER lpTotalNumberOfBytes,	// pointer to variable to receive number of bytes on disk    PULARGE_INTEGER lpTotalNumberOfFreeBytes	// pointer to variable to receive free bytes on disk   );

This is for the type of disk

UINT GetDriveType(LPCTSTR lpRootPathName 	// address of root path    );Return Types0       The drive type cannot be determined.1	The root directory does not exist.DRIVE_REMOVABLE	The drive can be removed from the drive.DRIVE_FIXED	The disk cannot be removed from the drive.DRIVE_REMOTE	The drive is a remote (network) drive.DRIVE_CDROM	The drive is a CD-ROM drive.DRIVE_RAMDISK	The drive is a RAM disk.

For memory status

VOID GlobalMemoryStatus(    LPMEMORYSTATUS lpBuffer 	// pointer to the memory status structure     );

Thanks
If you insist on saying "DUH", try to make a post that makes a little more sense
I just get processor info via the Assembly CPUID instruction (you can read all about in Intel's docs: ftp://download.intel.com/support/processors/procid/24161815.pdf, but it requires some Assembly knownledge)

Memory info:MEMORYSTATUS ms;ms.dwLength = sizeof(MEMORYSTATUS);GlobalMemoryStatus(&ms);// total RAMms.dwTotalPhys// available RAMms.dwAvailPhys

I've written these functions (actually, the first one is taken directly from the Intel docs, because I couldn't optimze it further) in (Intel style) Assembly, compiled with NASM. The first one checks for CPUID support (it should be supported by all >= 486) and the next returns the registers after executing the CPUID instruction. Both of them are written for the cdecl calling convention (the standard C/C++ calling convention).
global _CheckCPUIDglobal _CPUID[segment .code]_CheckCPUID:pushfdpop eaxmov ecx, eaxxor eax, 200000hpush eaxpopfdpushfdpop eaxxor eax, ecxje check_cpuid_1mov eax, 1jmp check_cpuid_2check_cpuid_1:xor eax, eaxcheck_cpuid_2: ret_CPUID:mov eax, [esp + 4]cpuidpush eaxmov eax, [esp + 16]mov [eax], ebxmov eax, [esp + 20]mov [eax], ecxmov eax, [esp + 24]mov [eax], edxpop eaxmov ebx, [esp + 8]mov [ebx], eaxret

The C function definitions for these (when linked to the program) looks:
bool CheckCPUID();// ulong = unsigned long (of course)void CPUID(ulong mode, ulong *eax, ulong *ebx, ulong *ecx, ulong *edx);

But it can be quite a task to detect the exact processor (like Pentium 4 2.8 GHz instead of Intel 2.8 GHz), because there's so many combinations. I just get the vendor string (GenuineIntel or AuthenticAMD), the frequency and the relevant extensions (MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNow!) plus some others (HTT, EM64T), just to get a little more info.

[Edited by - nife on July 23, 2005 3:15:52 PM]
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
A lot of that info is in the Registry...

Registry key for Processor info:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0
ProcessorNameString (NT)
Identifier (95/98)
VendorIdentifier

Registry key to find Registry key for Win2000/XP Graphics Cards

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO
\Device\Video0 <--- keyname

(use the key pointed to by \Device\Video0 to find the Graphics card info)
"Device Description"

Operating System info:

Use "GetVersionInfoEx()" to find out whether your user is on (95/98) or (NT/2000/XP)... then, either:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

CSDVersion (Service pack) (NT ONLY)
CurrentBuildNumber (NT only)
ProductName
RegisteredOwner
Version (95/98)
VersionNumber (95/98)

---

I almost asked the same question you did a few days ago, but researched these myself...

I'm still wondering how to get:

*CPU Speed

*Display setting (desktop dimensions, & bitdepth)... these are probably in DirectX though...
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
Quote:Original post by Verg
A lot of that info is in the Registry...

Registry key for Processor info:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0
ProcessorNameString (NT)
Identifier (95/98)
VendorIdentifier

Registry key to find Registry key for Win2000/XP Graphics Cards

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO
\Device\Video0 <--- keyname

(use the key pointed to by \Device\Video0 to find the Graphics card info)
"Device Description"

Operating System info:

Use "GetVersionInfoEx()" to find out whether your user is on (95/98) or (NT/2000/XP)... then, either:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

CSDVersion (Service pack) (NT ONLY)
CurrentBuildNumber (NT only)
ProductName
RegisteredOwner
Version (95/98)
VersionNumber (95/98)

---

I almost asked the same question you did a few days ago, but researched these myself...

I'm still wondering how to get:

*CPU Speed

*Display setting (desktop dimensions, & bitdepth)... these are probably in DirectX though...

int GetSystemMetrics(

int nIndex // system metric or configuration setting to retrieve
);

with SM_CXSCREEN and SM_CYSCREEN for dimensions or GetDeviceCaps(hdc,
with DESKTOPHORZRES or DESKTOPVERTREZ
The GetSystemInfo method is what uses the SYSTEM_INFO struct (MSDN Link)

You may wish to also look at the System Information Functions reference.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement