• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gink

Windows Prog. w/o Microsoft Dev Studio hopeless?

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it a waste of time to do windows programming if you dont have visual studio etc? I am using Dev-CPP but now petzolds book keeps mentioning how to create and use resources with their developement environment, and I can't follow along in a few chapters because I dont have visual studio. Also has anyone here done windows programming without vis. studio? If so where exactly can I learn to program things like icons, menus, KB accels without using the resource files that VStudio generates?

Advertisement
If you already know how to do windows programming, it's not a big deal to work without using MSVC. For example, the resource compiler is packaged with the Platform SDK from Microsoft, which is free for download. I don't know if DevCpp comes with it, but if not, it's not hard to get.

Which SDK? Btw, would I have to write in all the data that visual studio generates automatically, or is it already defined?

It's literally called the "Platform SDK". The inputs to the resource compiler are text files that describe the resources, and if you include bitmap, icon or other files as resources, then them as well. And yes, you have to do by hand many of the things that the MSVC IDE would do for you.

There are a few third party Resource editors available. I've got ResEdit, which seems quite good, the only problem is you can't just double-click and add code like you can with MSVS.

You can do everything without MSVC, but you'd be damn stupid to do anything major in DevC++ or KDevelop or some crappy open "somehow we're better" source IDE. The only alternative IDE I'd suggest would be Eclipse, but it's not all that easy to configure on Windows, and if you don't have my blazing 30mbit/s internet connection, or crappy broadband at least, it's a big download.

You could always download MSVC++ .NET Express Beta 2. Although it's Intellisense needs a bit of work, it has a nice interface and the latest version of everything. That said, I did stop using it because of it's crappy Intellisense and it's amazing ability to grey out my entire header files because of a new feature that dynamically figures out whether the code will be there or not if you're using #ifdefs, such as #ifdef INC_MYFILE, #define INC_MYFILE, <contents>, #endif, and depending on which file you came from, the stuff would either be highlighted or not.

Alternatively, you could get Visual Studio from an academic outlet, or your school, which is what I did. I own VC++ .NET 2003 for commercial compiling and have VS .NET 2003 Pro from my school.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!