Dev Studio 2005

Started by
7 comments, last by Daggett 18 years, 8 months ago
I'm currently developing with Dev Studio 2003 Professional edition, and was looking at the 2005 Beta 2 Express version. I use it to program solely in C++ and DirectX, though I may be doing some C# programming in the near future. Am I missing out on anything by not downloading and using 2005 Beta 2? Thanks
Brianmiserere nostri Domine miserere nostri
A lot. the debugging is much better, and the IDE overall is better. Try it, It's worth it.
I've just got the VC++ 2005 Express Beta 2 and I'm very impressed so far. It's lacking in features and unfinished, but impressive. I'm sure the whole combined VS Suite, once released, will bring all these improvements out across all the languages, including C# and VB.Net as well as C++.

It does take a little bit of work to get it all up and running, but boy is it worth it. However, I've never used VS2003, so I don't know what the differences are, but there's no harm in trying 2005 seeing as the Beta and Platform SDK are free, so you won't lose anything by not liking it.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.
Does 2005 require you to convert all your projects and workspaces like the last version did? If so, then isn't that going to be a pain when the beta version runs out and you have all these 2005 projects you have to re-convert back to 2003?

Daisy
What do you get for the $50? Just the express edition? I'm not sure, but I think that would be quite a step down from 2003 Professional. From their website, 2005 Standard is $300 ($200 upgrade), 2005 Professional is $800 ($550 upgrade), and 2005 Team is in the thousands (depending on features wanted).

The feature comparison table is here: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/productinfo/productline/default.aspx
Brianmiserere nostri Domine miserere nostri
This is why you find someone to hire you who uses Visual Studio for development [grin]
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
The beta 2 express edition is free, you just have to register it (type in your email, name etc.). I really like it, but the big thing I don't like is the missing resource editor, so I still have to make resource scripts in MSVC6.

Edit: And there is a bug so you can't change the include directories inside the IDE, you have to change some files manually.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement