3D modeling

Started by
15 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I hope this is the right forum to place this ':) So: We created a series of 3D models with Curious Labs' Poser 6 (Quick and easy hehe) And now we're looking for ways to export them in .X files to use with DirectX, and also drasticly decrease the number of vertices, since the chatacters in the game will be rather small (Diablo 2 Like). We do have access to Maya 4.5 So if you can point us to some ways (not very expensive... Poser 6 costs a damn fortune) to do that. A good solution would be Poser->Maya->.X, but Poser cannot export to Maya and Maya cannot export to .X :) Plugins? Or maybe there is another software which could help us. Thanx in advance for any help! :) PS Please don't suggest using 3DStudio, because we cannot aford it. The Maya I'm talking about is at a friend of mine's office...

It's only when you look at ants with a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Bleys
So if you can point us to some ways (not very expensive... Poser 6 costs a damn fortune) to do that. A good solution would be Poser->Maya->.X, but Poser cannot export to Maya and Maya cannot export to .X :)

Am I mistaken or wouldn't that be illegal as of the license agreement or something like that... as, if you haven't bought Poser, then you aren't allowed to use what has produced using it by other means than those granted by the "demo".

I could be wrong here, but my sense tells me pretty much that, otherwise, what would otherwise be the point of licensing Poser?

Use milkshape 3d it can inport and export a big list of files including .x

its very easy to use and the results are great
`0 0`
``-``
\___/

Syranide:
I HAVE bought poser and that's why I'm looking for something cheep now :) my budget is low because of this purchase :) That's what I meant with saying it cost a damn fortune, and that's why I cannot afford something like 3ds (not that I could even if i hadn't bought poset tho ':))

cNoob:
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check it out

It's only when you look at ants with a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames.

Poser is one of the most notorious "Does not play nice with others" 3d graphics applications out there. I have done some research in dealing with poser content and came to the conclusion that getting anything more than a static model out of Poser requires either a lot of money or a lot of code (and possibly a whole lot more money either way to deal with the legal licencing minefeild). There are a number of tools available to move poser files to other platforms, but the free ones (trinity) are pathetic and everything else (Greenbriar Studio, maxpose, bodystudio, pCharacter) is very expensive and from what I have read still probably inadaquate.

Your best bet may be to export OBJ files and convert them using something like Deep Exploration (expensive), polytrans (also expensive) or milkshape or maybe even blender (just about everything can read OBJ files). I believe that curent DXSDK even comes with an OBJ parsing example.

You may be able to get motion and bone structure out of poser as BVH, but actually putting it to use will probably be a nightmare.

Before you do any of this, check your licence agreements. There was a whole lot of stink not to long ago about ultra-restrictive changes between poser4 and poser5 (maybe that is why poser5 flopped so bad). Also check out the licences on the content that you are using (the only real reason to use poser is the mass of existing content) though much of what you can find is 'free' you may not be allowed to redistribute it or modify it.

Finally curl up in a little ball, stick your thumb in your mouth and have a good cry. You will feel much better afterwards.
turnpast, thanks for that info...
This stuff really pushed our heads in a new direction, we decided to drop the combination-of-3d-and-2d-to-make-an-isometric-game (phew) stuff and use the poser models exported as images and prerender the graphics (ye goode olde 2de will never die :) Good thing we haven't started any of the graphics development yet.

And if we earn a whole lotta money with this game (yeah right) and decide to make 3d stuff we will forget about poser (it's a nice lil ol' program though)

Oh and to all the kids reading this thread:
Software development plannig WILL save your lives (and you won't have to turn the software's concept all around all of a sudden ;)

As some old wise man said: Trice gauge - cut once! (damn old tailor-sages)

I think it is ridiculas at how much software costs these days. There is all this young tallent out there that have great potential but can't show it due to the cost of 3d software. So lets say you have the money to pay for 3ds max and you are all happy that you can get this great software that can do all these things and are thinking cool i can make a game and blady bla. Then when you get it you get told that

you can't even render an image on more than one pc at a time (even though you payed for it o_O).
you can't sell any game with it unless you pay more money and buy a new license and that is only for one game title(if you are are a novice then you are stuck since you bought 3ds max to make models and spent a hell of alot of money and then to be told you need another license that costs more to make one simple game.)
The license only lasts for a year or two so making anything when the license has expired is eligal even though you spent $3,000 dollars for it.

So realy you don't own the software at all the company owns it and you have to do whatever they say otherwise you could get prosicuted for not obaying the license. The company dosn't care that you just spent thousonds on it just for it to last a year or two were then you need to spend another few grand on a new license. They just want your money and will keep at getting your money in every possible way,

I think if the companys would sell there software alot cheaper they would get more money in the long run, this is because more people would buy there software because it is cheaper and will not think twise about buying the thousond dollar softwares. Just because it may be cheaper dosn't mean it lacks the ammount of flexibility of a dear software, dam 3ds max has loads of dam bugs that get on my nerves. I would expect more for my money at that price. I just think it is stupid at how much money a simple software is to buy when it was virtualy free to build.

The game industry would be alot more bigger and better if people could get the chance to show there expertese in the catogary they excell most in, but because it costs thousonds to show this people arn't doing it unless you're dam right rich.

Well thats my 2cents.
yep,
but that may be supported by the large game corporations. Think about it: If 3ds or Maya costed $200 instead of 3000-7000 (depending on the package), 3d software companies would make more than 20 times more sales and thus have more profit, but I think that game corporations cover the 3d companies "losses" so as they'd keep prices up and the regular consumer wouldn't buy them and voila - no unexpected competition large game corps have 100% of the market because people like us cannot afford to put out a decent game...

hmm Idea:
Could I start making 3D development software and sell it for little money counting on a big number of sales... and starve making it... ':)

But it is not good for the talented people out there who are poor. So people then resort to using hacked copies which is the only option for half of the people out there. This is the only option for people to learn 3ds max/maya ect and check if it is good or not and use it for a hobby making models and maby making small games. Why is it allways for the rich and not for the poor.
You don't have a right to someone else's software.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement