Music Composer

Started by
3 comments, last by yadango 18 years, 8 months ago
Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for composing music for a PC game I'm helping to develop? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Not that it will help you at all or anything, but there is a free composer (application) for the DirectX format somewhere on Microsofts homepage, which pretty much like any "tracker" software out there.

I recommend using a good midi sequencer - this way, it's just like writing out sheet music. Of course, there are the really expensive ones out there (like Finale, which is probably the best), some affordable ones (Cakewalk makes good-but-cheap-stuff), and then there is the shareware stuff.

A few years ago, before I shelled out the cash for a better product, I was using Melody Assistant. It served me well.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Hi, I asked a well-known game composer about this several months ago, and he gave me this reply:

"I use mostly Sonar 3 as a sequencer and multi-track audio app. And for
the sounds themselves I usually use various sample libraries with a
sampler called GigaStudio. A great starter package is called Garritan
personal orchestra, you should certainly check that out if your getting
into composing. Its a great deal!"

Hope that helps,
Elben
Depends on what your budget is.

Buying Sonar 4 PE, VST/DXi instruments, sample libraries, and a good notation program like Sibelius or Finale will take you down several THOUSAND dollars (especially if you want to get anything from Spectrasonics).

If you are on a budget try out Propellerheads Reason. It doesn't have all the functionality of all the above programs, but it's got a little bit of everything (editing, effects, and a sample library).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement