Linux and GRUB

Started by
2 comments, last by roos 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Phew... So I've been trying to get Fedora Core 4 installed so I can dual boot with my already installed Win XP. I ran through the installer, no problems, and then took the CD out and rebooted. However, instead of giving me a choice of which OS to load, it simply booted into XP as usual! If anyone could please look at this and see if there's anything I can do to fix it, I would really appreciate it. I think I have a vague sense of what I need to do- probably boot up with the CD in the drive, type "linux rescue" to get to the command prompt, and then edit some settings. I don't really know anything about linux or GRUB though so I'm not quite sure what to do. Also, I'm not sure why GRUB didn't work in the first place... So here's my set up... I have 2 hard drives: /sda: SCSI drive, 1 FAT32 partition, contains the Windows XP operating system /hda: IDE drive. First 10GB are for Fedora, rest is FAT32 partition for misc data When the installer asked about how to install GRUB, I went with the default option that was available which was to install it in the master boot record (MBR) on /sda. Anyway I'm pretty stumped so please let me know if anyone has some clue. EDIT: I was googling a bit and found a little bit of info but I'm a bit hesitant to try it because I don't want to screw up my computer! What I'm thinking is maybe I can just go into linux rescue, then type "grub" to enter the grub command prompt, then type: root (hd0,1) setup (hd0) quit I don't really know what the number means "hd0"- if that would correspond to sda or hda. Thanks again, roos
Advertisement
Probably belongs more in Everything Unix.

On GRUB installation from the command line, it usually tells you what the device mappings are.

It'll likely say something like:
Quote:(hd0) /dev/hda3
(hd1) /dev/blablablah

or something. Try reinstalling GRUB and see what it thinks the device maps are. If you're booting off of IDE but your first-detected drive is SCSI, the IDE disk will be hd1 (but Linux thinks it will be hd0 because it booted off of it). This happened to me with Ubuntu on my P3 with builtin SCSI. Just edit the boot order before you launch into it, and then edit the menu.lst file when you come back into Linux.
grub --device-map=outfile      ...cat outfile
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Thanks for moving the post to the right section, and for all the GRUB info.

Anyway, I tried fiddling around with the command line grub for a couple of hours with no luck... So I made some space on my SCSI drive where Windows is, created an empty partition, and installed Linux into that. Then finally, everything worked :)

Thx again for all the help

roos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement