best 3D file?

Started by
5 comments, last by stroma 18 years, 8 months ago
I am making an applciation for making 3D websites and worlds with VRML and OpenGL. I want to be able to let people import 3D shapes and models from other programs. What do you think would be the main 3D file format that people would want to use to do this and which would be easiest for me to include? I will probably go for two file formats a text and a binary format. What format would you most like to use?
Advertisement
depends on ur skill level and how much trouble u will put into it...

.obj is a good format to check out but u want something which u can load directly from the modeler program for example if ur using max then .3ds and so on
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
i suggest to support 3ds which is one of the most popular 3d formats. lots of editors can export to this format.
and you may want to use, directx xfile, lightwave lwo or autocad dxf. it really depends on your needs, if you want to use a global format, i think autodek 3ds is best.
+-+-+-+-+-STR
i think 3ds is best too!!!!!!!!!!!
.fbx
works for all.
Well, I've got it to load a nice 3DS file of a dolphin. 3DS seems to be supported by lots of applications so I'll stick with this for loading and saving the obects in the worlds.

While I'm here do you have any good ideas about what would make a good 3D website maker?

At the moment you can load/edit or create new 3DS objects and place them in a scene, make walls, add textures and hyperlinks to websites on different objects.

I want it to be quite simple so anyone can make a 3D website in about quarter of an hour which would complement your normal flat website.

paths for objects and cameras would be a nice feature.
+-+-+-+-+-STR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement