• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
antde2001

How to Revolutionize Gameplay

This topic is 4957 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The experience gained by describing and thinking in sweeping generalisations is close to zero. I've found the only way I can realy develop a cogent idea is to impose a specific game or real world situation onto the generalisation. As soon as I start thinking in detail about specific good and bad points all kinds of other interesting ideas spring up!

That said, I'm often as guilty as the next man when it comes to generalizations, it's wise to consider anything I say to be proceded by "In my opinion".

[edit] Wavinator, this might make a good independant thread. Whenever I read the game design forums there are always a few manifestos. It would be cool to break down peoples thought processes and maybe experiment with a better way to discuss the abstract topics? [/edit]

Advertisement
I'll toss in my 2 bytes here.

I'll agree with the OP to a certain point. Though it seems what the original poster wants is something akin to the Holodeck on Star Trek. Its overly vuage, and lacks any real definition.

Here's what I would say would be "Revolutionary".

I agree that many games are becoming stale, mainly due to what I'd like to call lack of imagination. Zelda OOT one could list as being a very revolutionary game. But what was so revolutionary about it? The gameplay elements of it were not so revolutionary, as the game itself was put together very well, and it raised the bar of what a great game was.

What's needed to Revolutionize the game industry is an increase in imagination. Explore new settings, come up with new gameplay ideas, and then find a way to make it FUN. Because above all, its never good if it ain't fun.

Most games fall into very classic settings.

Sci-fi
Modern developed world
Fantasy
Fantastic (i.e. Mario, Sonic, etc)
Oriental

The truth is that if you look at the movie industry, the movie industry does not come up with TRULY original work. But the one's that get noticed are the ones that break the mold and give you something NEW.

Break the mold. Give us a game based on the Renassaince, not Fuedal europe. Give us a game based in the Stone Age that does something besides have everyone Grunt at you. Give us a sci-fi game in the realm of CLASSIC SCI-FI of Issac Asimov and Jules Vern. Give us a game based off of Native Americans (and no TUROK DOES NOT COUNT.)

The point is that there are alot of options out there that have not been explored, and the main reason they have not is because people are afraid to take the risk to do so....but if they do, and they do it well Then that game will be hearalded as Revolutionary.

Quote:
Original post by Wavinator
Seriously, though, is this the month of manifestos? I've just been noticing them popping up more frequently.

They seem to have these same traits:

1) Lack of specific details
2) Strong yen for realism
3) Strong judgement against other gamers / existing genres
4) Vast generalization of gamers
5) Seem to know what all gamers want / what "should be"

Hehe, too true.

And of course, the old classic "Hey, if we just remove all constraints, it will turn into a gameplay revolution, and everyone will love the game"-thread just had to make an appearance.
antde2001, sorry to break it to you. A game *is* constraints. A game is defined by all the things it doesn't let you do, all the rules it force on the player.
Remove that, and you have, nothing. a sandbox kids can play around in yes, but which only becomes interesting once someone else steps up and adds some new constraints and goals.

So what you're saying is the game designer should throw away his responsibility, and then someone else will do his job for him, and we'll all be better off.

I'm sorry, but I just don't subscribe to the "Realism is the holy grail. The ultimate game must be one that perfectly emulates the real world"-school of thought.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!