Visual programming languages

Started by
43 comments, last by Conner McCloud 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by samv
I've heard "good things" about LabVIEW.
*shudder*

LabView is quite an amazing environment if you take the time to learn it.

Matlab also has Simulink, which I have less experience with.

Although not strictly a programming language, Mathcad is an interesting visual math program. I can't stand it personally, but I know a few people who prefer it to the popular alternatives.

CM
Advertisement
BizTalk uses flow charts. Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
Quote:Original post by Marmin
Thanks for the replies! It seems that most of such applications are related to music; I started to get interested in this subject because of the new Reaktor 5 update (this is also a music tool); but why should it be related to music only and not the well known languages. f.e. I could make a graphical module 'classes' and when the user clicks it, the user can define all classes of the program.

sounds awfully like an uml-app such as together...
Quote:Original post by sirGustav
Thanks for the replies! It seems that most of such applications are related to music; I started to get interested in this subject because of the new Reaktor 5 update (this is also a music tool); but why should it be related to music only and not the well known languages. f.e. I could make a graphical module 'classes' and when the user clicks it, the user can define all classes of the program.

sounds awfully like an uml-app such as together...

Something like that.. i'll have to read the pdf somewhat more to fully understand what it's all about. Price tag $1,500 for Visual Studio .NET .. ouch.. >_<
From cave-man drawings, to words, back to cave-man drawings? [grin]
other uml editors exist such as rational rose, umbrello, violet... heck there are a lot but IMHO together is the best(I used it in school so I idn't pay ;) ) :)
list of other uml apps
The latest version of visual studio (2005 beta) has this feature built in according to an article I read some time ago.

I haven't tested visual paradigm that much, but it seems rather good aswell.
I found this and it seems rather good.
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
what wrong with that? Graphical Operating systems are common (Windows, Linux, etc.) and text-based OS where are they?Nowhere. So, why not make a programming language visual style just like Windows.
SirGustav thanx very much for the help- rate++ :)
what wrong with that? Graphical Operating systems are common (Windows, Linux, etc.) and text-based OS where are they?Nowhere. So, why not make a programming language visual style just like Windows.

I'm just saying that often times, the best way to express complicated systems is through text, not pictures. It's the reason text was invented.
I haven't used UML that much so I don't know a lot about it. But can you run UML? I thought it was just for documentation/visualization.

It's just that a 'words' programming language allows for greater flexibility than a graphical programming language. Just like words allow more flexibility than images. Anyway, Borlands Delphi might help you. It allows you to design your programs visually (with drag-and-drop components) and to use text to program the rest.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement