• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xSKOTTIEx

non linear frame rate?

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

in my 2d game, when things are real calm, i get around 1000fps (Radeon x800, so, yeah 1000 is a lot). when activity picks up (some rotating sprites and some pretty intensive particle systems) it can get to about 600-800 fps. now i know that its hard to keep the frame rate high when you add things (especially going from nothing to actually doing something), but is this a large drop? are my sprites/systems too slow? i know that frame rate is non-linear (in that a drop from 40000fps to 200000 fps can be a difference of .0001 in rendering time).... so should i worry about this slow down, considering that most people playing my game will not have a nice video card like mine?

Advertisement
please... don't forget to add vsync before you release it - you might not be the only one with an x800!

That's not even a doubling of the render time, so I wouldn't worry to much about that.

Before you start worrying about people with slower video cards you should profile your code to find out where the slowdown is. A wild guess would be that the particle systems steal some power. Are they handled by the CPU or the GPU?

Test with some even more complex scenes (Even absurdely complex ones, with more stuff than you ever expect to use in the game) to see what happens with bigger loads.

And if you can you should test it on a slower machine. As some friends to test it for you or something like that.

I wouldn't worry about it until you start to drop below around 200fps (on your x800), only then would I start thinking about what speeds would be like on lower end cards.

In a typical 2D game using a 3D API for rendering you'll basically be rendering a load of textured quads with a seperate draw call for every quad. Thus I would guess that the actual draw calls take more time then the rendering so if you ran your game using an x800 and using something like a GF3 you'd get pretty similar performance.

If you're getting 600-800 FPS you don't need to worry about performance, if you're worried it'll perform badly on computers with a lower spec that yours you need to test it out on lower spec computers rather than just blindly guessing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!