• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GENTS

Skeletal Animation

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys!!! I'm trying to develop some skeletal animation stuff for Symbian OS enviroments (working on Nokia 6600 & OpenGL ES - Hybrid Implementation)... I've looked for some tutorials or source code of OpenGL skeletal animation but it seems that there is only two important ones: Skeletal Animation with MilkShape3D files and Using .X files witouht DirectX... I'm trying to get out from them some interesting stuff, but now I want to ask you... How have you solved the problem on mobiles or Symbian OS?! Do you think that pheraps is better to use morphing animation?! Do you know of any other interesting tutorial for OpenGL(ES) animation systems?! THANKS FOR REPLIES & FOR HELP!!! Byez,

Advertisement
Are you sure the Nokia 6600 has Opengl ES? I think you mean the 6630

Just implement the tutorial that you do understand. However, you have to do some float to int conversion if you are using the Common Lite profile.

No...
It's Nokia 6600!!! I've a Nokia 6600 and I've downloaded Hybrid implementation DLL of OpenGL ES so I'm trying to develop something for my thesis...

Take a look to my website for more explainations Symbian OS @ GENTS GAME DEVELOPMENT

I've looked at that tutorials but I need some more stuff cause both tutorials are based on file's reading and I don't want to use this feature on my mobile engine...

Thanks for help!!! ^__^

From what I understand are you asking for tutorials on how to conduct skeletal animation? Or specifics on porting an implementation to OpenGL ES?

Personally I would first find and understand how skinning is conducted on PC hardware and then move that understanding into the more limited enviroment. Memory limitations may force you into using your own format for models, processing costs might be prohibitive etc. all the usual compatibility problems between devices.

The OpenGL ES 1.1 spec actually has extension support for vertex skinning.

Quote:
Vertex skinning functionality using the oes_matix_palette extension allows smooth animation of complex figures and geometries. The extension allow OpenGL ES to support a palette of matrices. The matrix palette defines a set of matrices that can be used to transform a vertex. The matrix palette is not part of the model view matrix stack.

What I've tried to do is to use these tutorials to implement a good framework to use for Skeletal Animation...

I've used "Skeletal Animation with MilkShape3D files" to implement most of the framework, and .X files to get out data...
But I've some problems...
So I'm now trying to understand how to use MilkShape3D and its ASCII files to use skeletal animation keyframes...

Is this a useful approach or there is some other interesting tutorials?!

THANKS ^__^

Quote:
Original post by GENTS
What I've tried to do is to use these tutorials to implement a good framework to use for Skeletal Animation...

I've used "Skeletal Animation with MilkShape3D files" to implement most of the framework, and .X files to get out data...
But I've some problems...
So I'm now trying to understand how to use MilkShape3D and its ASCII files to use skeletal animation keyframes...

Is this a useful approach or there is some other interesting tutorials?!

THANKS ^__^

I would say your approach is a good one (without knowing the specifics) although a PC implementation is not going to be ideal for a mobile enviroment.

I've now loaded all data for doing skeletal animation, but I've found another big problem...

While programming with OpenGL ES, I've to use integer shifting operation ( << )... This operation is not needed in PC programming with OpenGL, so the code is not so portable as I hope initially...

I'm now trying to understand how to use shifting operation ( << ), using Milkshape3D example source code, in matrix calculation, vectors or normals computation, etc.

I link here the source code of MilkShape3D example (look at Matrix/Vector and Model.cpp code)

Do you know how can I solve this problem or where I've to put shift during computations?!

THANKS!!!

The shifts I would assume are used to implement fixed point math operations. Your best bet is to learn how fixed point operations are used generally then apply them to your 3D problems.

In an 8 bit number using 3 bits for a fraction (i.e. int << 3):
Bit 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
Power of two 4 3 2 1 0 -1 -2 -3

Things to watch out for are mul/div as these cause shifts in then position of the point so require pre or post shifting and possible precision loss.

For mobile devlopment a library called MathFP could be useful for you as well. But I would recommend you learn the basics before relying on it.

Edit: Noticed I put the bits ze wrong way around!

[Edited by - meh on August 1, 2005 4:03:58 AM]

Ok!!!

That was a problem with sin() and cos() functions...
Now I've solved the problem and I'm working with some examples and I'll write soon a skeletal animation with OpenGL ES tutorial!!!

THANKS FOR HELP!!!

Byez,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!