• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zaxx

Turn radius from forward velocity and turning velocity

This topic is 4889 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an entity that has a set forward velocity and set turning velocity. I was wondering how to get its turning radius; the radius of the circle the entity would traverse when it tries to go forward and turn at the same time. Thanks.

Advertisement
what do you mean by set turning velocity ... do you mean a fixed angle per unit time, or a fixed amount of force per unit time, or something else?

and the answer will likely involve arcsin / arccos etc - so you may want to look at those

If something is turning at a radians per second, and it covers b metres each second, then its just a quick rearrangement of arc length

length = radius*angle

in this case b = radius*a, so that now becomes

radius = b / a

So if it rotates 90 degrees each second, that is about 1.57 radians per second, and travells 8 meters every second, the radius of the circle it travells is 8 / 1.57 = 5.1 metres.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!