[web] Flash mmo?

Started by
8 comments, last by fraKtal 18 years, 8 months ago
Is it possible to make mmo with flash?
Advertisement
Possible, but not plausable.
Flash is much too slow. A lot of single player flash games don't even run well on high quality.

Look into Java.
---There are 2 kinds of people: those who know hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Yes absolutely possible.

Personally my main problem with Flash, is the difficulty of doing multi-developer projects because you can't easily version binary files (as they can't be meaningfully diff'd so you can't merge changes).

As a MMO is a large project, the client part would be immensely complicated, so you'd want your developers to use version management (which of course you would, even if it was small and easy).

It's possible with proper discipline to version Flash stuff. Also, most of your scripts can be in external .as files and other resources in separate files, which will reduce the need to modify the main fla files as much as possible.

I don't think you should be worrying about performance - obviously you *can* get into trouble if you have too many moving things, or a lot of overdrawing - I think Flash is mostly not hardware accelerated (or at least doesn't use hardware 3d).

---

Flash can use sockets I think, so you would use those to communicate with the server. Because Actionscript is *almost* &#106avascript, you could potentially reuse code between the client and server by writing the server in &#106avascript too - you could use Mozilla to host the server, or at least use some Mozilla components (sockets) and use Spidermonkey with / without native components as necessary.<br><br>I'm sure that <strike>Macromedia</strike>Adobe also have their own server offerings which run Actionscript or something.<br><br>Ideally you'd want compatible serialisation of message objects at the very least.<br><br>Mark
wouldn't say a MMO would be good in flash but a multiuser could easily be done in smartfox lite they already have samples and tutorials for making a multiuser avatar chat but an mmo you would need a better server than the lite but lite you could distribute with the game and create a game that way using fscommand to launch a server on that computer and perhaps php for a master list and you've got a nice multipalyer game
www.dofus.com/en

You can probably still sign up for the free beta if you want a look at it first hand
I dont like that game :/
He's not telling you to enjoy the game. It's an example.
Current Project: Espion Online
Depends how many features you want in the MMO, how interactive you want it, how big the world is.

I mean, technically people have games out of HTML that you could call MMOs (one example)

But if you're asking "can I make Everquest in flash", then no.
I started one awhile back Here

Used Flash for UI, MySql for Database, and Php for communication. Im in the process of updateing it to using SOAP and c# web services with sql express in the backend. But the game works fine. Although its very small its just a concept game. It is all dynamiclaly created with XML so the 5 screens could easily be 5000 if I had the interest to make it a more in depth game. So my answer is yes it can be done, but the first M in MMO should probably be Mini
Quote:Original post by Justaddwater
I started one awhile back Here

Used Flash for UI, MySql for Database, and Php for communication. Im in the process of updateing it to using SOAP and c# web services with sql express in the backend. But the game works fine. Although its very small its just a concept game. It is all dynamiclaly created with XML so the 5 screens could easily be 5000 if I had the interest to make it a more in depth game. So my answer is yes it can be done, but the first M in MMO should probably be Mini

That's a pretty neet game! You should really polish that up more, and create more content, and that would be an *awsome* game!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement