• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
evelyn

J2me app calling app's phone

This topic is 4771 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering:- Is it possible to generate a phone call/text message, from within a java application, to call/text the same phone that the applicaton is run on?...(just wondering for a possible j2me game idea) and, if so, how is it done?....greatly appreciate any responses :) [Edited by - evelyn on July 25, 2005 8:03:43 AM]

Advertisement
Not so sure about the phone call idea (if my phone receives a calls it stops any Java apps from running, for example) but sending an SMS could be possible. You could either do it using an online service (connecting through GPRS/GSM) or Sun offer an API called WMA: Wireless Messaging API. I'm not sure what device support for WMA is like, though.

Thanks for that Benryves....I realised after posting that it couldn't really 'call' it's own phone, but if text messages can be generated to it's own phone, that would be cool - I'll have a wee gander at the link, brill.

The phone call won't work. Very few phones have the ability to initiate a phone with Java (in MIDP you're stuck with platformRequest()), and if they can, you'd just get a busy signal.

Sending an SMS to one's self is certainly possible if the phone has WMA.

shmoove

Thanks guys for the replies :)

Is this the only way or is there another (ie. even better) way? ...I know, I know - you're probably thinking....d'oh, wot more does she want!?

...the link above is good btw, just needing to know if it's the best! :)

Not all phones support WMA. So the most portable solution in thoery would be to use http, send a request to a server and have the server send the message. In theory, all MIDP phones would be able to support that (since http is mandatory in the MIDP 1.0 standard). But then you have a different problem - getting the networking to work across a wide variety of phones and networks (a huge headache, believe me).

And there is one more problem: the fact that there is no standard way in MIDP to find out the phone's own number.

All in all, with a lot of hard work, it's doable.

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!