• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Drethon

What do you want in an RPG?

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recently we've had posts about what is good or bad in RPGs and "realism" vs "fun". I'm curious about what people would most like to see added to an RPG that they haven't seen yet or have not seen done to the extent they would like. What I would most like see done in an RPG (primarily MMORPG) is greater interaction with the environment. There are all these static objects that just sit there or have minimal interaction, why not allow players to use all objects however they want. (Most of my basis is coming from Gemstone IV, a text based RPG I play) Point 1: destruction of objects How often do you see massive destruction in a room for a MMORPG and the static objects are still sitting there? Why not allow all objects to be destroyed. If this was done, they players could then repair the object themselves to gain repair skill or a NPC repairman could repair them. Point 2: isn't everything a weapon? You are standing next to a chair with your weapon in a sheath which is closed when a thief snatches up your silver purse. You could take the time to get your weapon out and kill the thief (which could cause problems with the local law) or you could grab the chair and throw it at the thief, knocking him out. So someone says this is too complicated to implement everything as an object. Why? Because the strength of an object is a specific number attribute of a weapon type object? Instead all objects could be given a weight and sharpness attribute. Weight it factored in for the concussion damage an object can cause and weight combined with sharpness determines how bad a cut the object can cause. I want to see anything used as a weapon... paper cut! ... or not but you get the idea. Point 3: cover You are sitting at a table when four men with crossbows walk in and proceed to nail you to your chair because dodge defence is lowered while you are sitting. Instead, why not have a cover % attribute for various positions of the table so you can throw it down and hide behind it? I know what has been listed here could take a considerable amount of work to implement but its and idea I want to play around with for possibly a few years and see what happens with it...

Advertisement
In an RPG I want... that my decisions actually influence things around me. After all, it's a role playing game right? does it matters if what I do doesn't matters?

I don't want things to be too easy. I don't want this battle system with autotargetting where I just have to mash buttons to win. I don't want this choices that in the end just drive me to the place I am supposed to be.

I don't want things to be too hard. I do want a smooth learning curve for the first 5-10% of the game at least. I do not want to be forced to kill creatures to level up so I can beat a boss. I do not want you to make a puzzle where I have to do mostly lateral thinking to solve it.

I do not want defects in the most important parts of the games. That collision detection should be good enough, because my character's life depends on it. I do not want to be trapped without exit in a room because someone forgot what would happen if I tried this or that.

I do not want technology or pretty stuff to get in the way of gameplay. I hear the steps of someone behind me, but my character screams HEYA! everytime it runs, so I can't actually know if this guy is moving or not if I am moving. This huge explosion the fireball creates(tought it doesn't hurts anyone, but the target) doesn't lets me see anything around me! and when it disapears, the AI, who does not care about if it is actually supposed to be able to see through an explosion, is already on top of me because I didn't had enough information to know it was going to attack me.

The truth is, that there are many posible good combinations with most things. Like, I would play an RPG just for the story even if it has lousy battles. Or the other way around, having awesome fights makes up for a crappy story. I'm definitly not going to play a bad game because it's music or it's graphics, but I might be willing to play a game with lot's of attention to detail and bad effects.

You could say making a game is sorta like cooking; you mix the ingredients, and you finally give it some fire, and it should taste like cheesecake instead of tasting like the mess your dog did on the carpet. One element might make up for another, or two bad elements might make a good mix. I put up there the things that I definitly know that I want or do not want in ANY RPG, not in something like a dream RPG.

About realism: I do not care if a game is realist as long as it is fun. However what I really dislike is a game based on the real world with unrealistic elements. Hey, the game is developed on Los Angeles(a real place), but unlike real people, I can take 5 bullets with no consequence, jump from the top of buildings and staying alive, jump like I can reach the moon, and what's more, for some reason every trained person that tries to shoot me misses most of the time, even tought I hardly miss with no effort or training what so ever.

I am deeply in love with RPG's but I am almost always disapointed!

I'm thinking totaly classic RPG adventure here, D&D stuff. Taking a band of stalwart heros into uncharted lands to bring back treasure.

I loved dungeon seige from the very core of my being. But then it ended, so I have to find a MMOG, which is all grind and no play. So I find a MUD, but I can't stomach that for to long, I havent done psychadelics in a year and all I can imagine is the same room repeating no matter how far south I go.

So its somewhere between all those, the easy answer is Never ending Dungeon Seige. But I'd like vast rolling landscapes, and majestic ships far out at sea to... You understand how it is...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!