• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BlueTomato

OpenGL Emulating missing OpenGL extensions?!

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently doing quite a lot of development work on my Asus S5200 laptop, which is a great computer that has everything I need, yet weights close to nothing and has great battery life (if you are looking for a super laptop, check it out!). I can program wherever I go. On the bus, in a restaurant, sitting in a tree, or while bungie jumping. However, it has one big problem, which is it has a graphics card (Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for Mobile) with little or no native support for any useful OpenGL extensions. I am currently working on an OpenGL based game using shadow maps, which requires support for the GL_ARB_depth_texture extension. Unfortunately my graphics card simply just does not support this extension, so how can I test if my code is working properly? So, I thought, maybe there are some OpenGL extension emulators out there, or some pure software only drivers for the newest OpenGL verions with all bells and whistles included? I do not mind if it is slow, in fact "slow" is almost a nice feature as I forces me to optimize, but it is important I can test new 3D techniques on my non-game-optimized 3D card. Not only through the above mentioned extension, but also other new features like shaders etc. Buying a bulky and heavy monster PC with the latest graphics card is just not very tempting, and I rarely work on a desktop these days... Any solutions to this one? Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisement
Look at mesa3d.org. It's a software OpenGL implementation. Performance will suck, but that's OK if all you're doing is prototyping, and testing correctness.

Quote:
Original post by evolutional
If you have an NVidia card, you might want to try NVemulate

Yeah, I found this one, but as mentioned it is an Intel based card... :(

"Yeah, I found this one, but as mentioned it is an Intel based card... :("

you mean nvidia right?

;)
greets tgar

Quote:
Original post by Thaligar
"Yeah, I found this one, but as mentioned it is an Intel based card... :("

you mean nvidia right?

;)
greets tgar

Uhm, no, I really mean I have an Intel based card, so I cannot use an nvidia emulator. Sorry if I was not clear... :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!