• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
g_villagomez

Java & VB6 survey

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm doing my extended essay on computer science and I need to do a survey on java vs VB6. Could you please fill in the questonnaire? Name: ……………………… School: ……………………… Age: ……………………… 1. “Which programming language do you think is easier to learn? Java or Visual Basic?” 2. “Which programming language do you think is easier to use or program? Java or Visual Basic?” 3. Which programming language is the best? Java or Visual Basic? Why? 4. Which programming language is the best to program free-ware computer games? Java or Visual Basic? Why? Thanks [Edited by - Shannon Barber on July 25, 2005 9:01:20 PM]

Advertisement
Name: Scott Conner
School: Virigina Tech

1. “Which programming language do you think is easier to learn? Java or
Visual Basic?”

It depends on the paradigm. If you want to learn OOP, Java is easier. If you want to learn GUI and procedural progrmaming VB is easier. I would say VB is easier to learn "programming concepts" (variables, methods, loops, conditional statements) etc, because the syntax and user interface (the IDE) is more friendly. I started VB freshman year in high school, and now Im a CS major.

2. “Which programming language do you think is easier to use or
program? Java or Visual Basic?”

Again it depends on what you are doing. Business applications that need to be built quickly, VB is better. An OOP cross platform program would suggest Java. Personally, I think Java is easier because it allows much more control. I could make anything in VB that I could in Java (maybe), but it would be harder as I am more acustomed to the capabilities of Java ( classes, interfaces, inheritance ) and Visual Basic simply does not have that functionality.

3. Which programming language is the best? Java or Visual Basic? Why?

Moreover, there is no "best" programming language. Functional languages like Python or scripting like Lua, or even others like C, C++, .NET, SQL, Fortran, they all have their own applications. It would not be wise to make a game in BASIC. It would be dumb to make a Mathmatica program in PHP. It all depends on application. There is no answer to this question.

4. Which programming language is the best to program free-ware computer
games? Java or Visual Basic? Why?

This question is broad enough to have more then one answer. If you want to make a web game? Java would obviously be the best. If you don't care about non-windows users, and it simply a GUI game on the Windows platform, I would say Visual Basic. However, considering that Java can do anything Visual Basic can regarding games ( even with the Java OpenGL libraries ), I would say Java is better.

Judging by the questions you are asking, you seem like you are fairly new to programming. Hopefully my reponses will give you more information then you are looking for. Remember, there are reasons multiple languages exist, the differences are not only readability and syntax.

Sighh... Everything in the preceding post is hopefully talking about VB6. As far as VB.Net, it is just as powerful/versatile as Java and is getting to the point of being just as portable too (as far as Linux and Macs). It is completely possible to develop games with VB.Net, and it already happens. It has bindings for OpenGL, SDL, and DirectX, so library availability is hardly a problem. There are also full engine syou can use for it, such as Axiom.

Bad questions like these are just destined to bring out a whole lot of misinformation, this survey is hardly going to be accurate.

Name: Gustav (not giving you might lastname - nothing against you, merely a principle )
School: Finished.

1/ Depends on the IDE for java. If it is great(drawing gui's for example) then it is that language. I think java has a more logical flow might be asier to read. Though learning process isn't the question it has to be stated that the great reference on suns homepage helps the java learning process(so far I havent found a equally great Vb learning resource(except books , but there are good books for Java too)).
2/ Java, since it got a great reference and tutorial online telling you how to do (almost) everything. VB has to interface with some DLL's to do something that there isn't an API for.
3/ Java. see #2
4/ Java, platform-independent, it's able to run through abrowser(w/ applets) and most users already got some form of runtimes of it(unlike vb runtimes).

Quote:
Original post by intrest86
And again, he was talking about VB6!

... I think I am going to go cry...

for what reason??

Cheers
Chris

Quote:
Original post by chollida1
for what reason??

Cheers
Chris

Talking about VB or any BASIC variant based on old technology is a bad idea, and people don't keep with the times. If someone asks a question about C++ we all tell them about modern C++, not the C++ of 7 years ago when everything was pre-standard and therefore less uniform across the board.

So if you want to judge VB judge it by its modern version, VB.Net. It is just as powerful as Java (with a Framework behind it that I would tak over Java'a API any day). It is cross platform to Linux and Mac machines. It has full access to the mahor graphics APIs and more. It is a lot more than VB6 ever was, which isn't surprising since VB6 is from 1998 and the 3rd version of VB since is in Beta.

The OP specifically asked about VB6.

Quote:
Original post by g_villagomez
Hi. I'm doing my extended essay on computer science and I need to do a survey on java vs VB6. Could you please fill in the questonnaire?

Ok, I'll bite:

Name: Shannon Barber
School: Software Manager (Lawrence Tech Alumni)

1. Which programming language do you think is easier to learn? Java or
Visual Basic?

VB6, because it does less.

2. Which programming language do you think is easier to use or
program? Java or Visual Basic?

VB6, it's simpler.

3. Which programming language is the [better]? Java or Visual Basic? Why?
Java, VB6 is awful. (& VB.Net or C# over Java or VB6.)

4. Which programming language is the best to program free-ware computer
games? Java or Visual Basic? Why?

Java, because VB6 is a dead language.

Quote:
Original post by intrest86
Quote:
Original post by chollida1
for what reason??

Cheers
Chris

Talking about VB or any BASIC variant based on old technology is a bad idea, and people don't keep with the times. If someone asks a question about C++ we all tell them about modern C++, not the C++ of 7 years ago when everything was pre-standard and therefore less uniform across the board.

So if you want to judge VB judge it by its modern version, VB.Net. It is just as powerful as Java (with a Framework behind it that I would tak over Java'a API any day). It is cross platform to Linux and Mac machines. It has full access to the mahor graphics APIs and more. It is a lot more than VB6 ever was, which isn't surprising since VB6 is from 1998 and the 3rd version of VB since is in Beta.

OK, I"ll buy your answer. But the poster asked about vb6. Not everyone can use the .net runtime or vb.net. I agree with your points but you have to realize that not everyone can use the latest and greatest:)

Cheers
Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!