• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
andrew_wardobe

Camera Question

This topic is 4863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm writting a small 1st person shooter but i want the project to be scalable and from a basis for a larger one and i was just wondering if if it better to have my player follow the movements of the cammera or to have the camera follow the movement of the player. any ideas ? andrew

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Excellent thats what i was hoping for. i really can be bothered to put collision detection in my camera class

thanks for you're help

If you don't put collision detection in your camera class, it'll end up sliding through solid objects. Unless you can guarantee that all solid objects have single-sided surfaces (unlikely) and are sufficiently convex with respect to the player (even more unlikely), this will result in the player being blocked from view -- a very annoying experience to the player. So, collision detection is necessary in both the player and the camera.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!