Terrain Rendering...

Started by
5 comments, last by xsirxx 18 years, 9 months ago
I am wondering if anyone could point me to a simple terrain rendering tutorial or article that explains terrain rendering using quadtrees/LOD or similar techinques to render worlds that would be in say an MMO or similar games. All help is appreciated. Zwig
Advertisement
For tutorials i will recomend the use of the great "Google" and also a couple of great books on terrains like:

1 . Real-Time 3D Terrain Engines Using C++ and DirectX 9 for DirectX

2. Focus On 3D Terrain Programming this book is intended to be API independent but the examples are in OpenGL
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
Also check the Articles section of this very site. There are a number of really good terrain rendering articles.

-me
Quote:Original post by idloco
1 . Real-Time 3D Terrain Engines Using C++ and DirectX 9 for DirectX

I have that book and I really wouldn't recommend it. Maybe I just don't mesh with the author's style, but I found the book to be very unhelpful. It seems like you spend a lot of time learning one method of doing something, then the author says there's a better way to do the same thing, but never fully explains the better way. I found that at the end of just about every chapter I was going on the internet to find information about the subjects that the author didn't finish. Not what I expect when I book about programming a specific topic.
I liked that book. I didnt look at any of the code but it gives a better understanding of MOST of the techniques plus breaks down alot more. If you want indepth stuff then dont get the book. This book for me really was just to get an understanding of what is best for my needs and what is out there. I still reference it. It really gives the novice an idea on what to look for. No depth though.

Also it doesnt say this is better than that... it says this is better than that for ... reason. Reason being, you want system that can be closed off? portal rendering. You want wide open massively played? Quadtree. It offers alot more, really take a look at it if you want to understand techniques and why they are usefull.

Then once you have an understanding go out and search for tutorials on that. I have a quadtree for my game. Im sure I can find the old links if ya need them for that.
--X
sir, it would be great if you could post some links to some portal rendering and quadtree articles, I have looked through the articles here and they are ok but i am still looking for more.

Zwigby
Quote:Original post by Zwigby
sir, it would be great if you could post some links to some portal rendering and quadtree articles, I have looked through the articles here and they are ok but i am still looking for more.

Zwigby

NP, just have them on my laptop(im at work). Ill see if I can grab them soon. I pretty much wrote my own though. I also got alot of info from terrain books...
--X

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement