hydrogen peroxide

Started by
17 comments, last by frostburn 18 years, 8 months ago
What makes the hydrogen peroxide on wounds bubble? Is it moisture/water that makes it bubble? If it were germs, then it wouldn't bubble again and again would it?
Advertisement
Grape Jelly.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Hydrogen peroxide spontaneously decays into water and oxygen gas. In the presence of certain catalysts--some of which are contained in blood plasma--the rate of this reaction increases dramatically, producing this bubbling effect.
Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2. This configuration is not particularly stable, and the molecules typically decompose into water and oxygen gas, with a little bit of heat. Various chemicals will catalyze this decomposition, including metals and organic materials. So there you go, your skin is organic, your blood contains iron, both are catalysts for the decomposition of peroxide.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Hydrogen peroxide is actually an acid that dissolves your flesh away.
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
Quote:Original post by Naaga

So that's what happened to my left leg. I was wondering where it had gone.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Quote:Original post by Naaga

So that's what happened to my left leg. I was wondering where it had gone.

Actually, I sold it on the black market, I was short on cash.

Quote:Original post by Toolmaker
Actually, I sold it on the black market, I was short on cash.

That's OK. They have rebuilt me. They had the technology.

Now I can hit 70mph by hopping along on my shiny new left foot.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I used to have fun when I was younger pouring that stuff in various places to find out what would happen. It bubbled up great on mold and stuff. If I poured it down the drain I could hear it bubbling down there.

Yeah, that was last week.
I like the DARK layout!
Wait a sec... If your skin and blood act as catalysts, how come the bubbles stop once the wound is clean?
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement