MFC or not to MFC?

Started by
8 comments, last by xmutantx 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi ppl... I will start to work on a tetris like game. I want to know if i should use MFC or go with c?
Advertisement
MFC is a library, C is a language. You can use MFC in C++, but MFC is not something you can program in.

If you're asking whether to use MFC or pure API calls, I'd say MFC. It's not that great, but it's better than API calls.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
For a tetris game, you shouldn't need to use MFC at all. All you should need to do is create a win32 window and create a drawing surface using your favorite API (OpenGL, DirectX, etc).
To not MFC.

You really wouldnt take advantage of it for the cost that will hit yer DX app. Like kosmon_x said, just create a window and pop DX on it for the fun :).
--X
Quote:Original post by xsirxx
You really wouldnt take advantage of it for the cost that will hit yer DX app. Like kosmon_x said, just create a window and pop DX on it for the fun :).

MFC is a foundation of windows routines and objects. It's main purpose is to help manage UI and messaging. I'm not sure what you mean by cost, but it will not speed up your game application. If anything, it will add more weight to it. And unless you plan to have a large amount of dialogs and window control interaction, it won't help you at all.

MFC would work nicely on the old Civilization games. They didn't use a custom UI, and the games were overwhelmed with interface controls.
Quote:Original post by Jiia
I'm not sure what you mean by cost, but it will not speed up your game application. If anything, it will add more weight to it.

Weight, cost. Didnt mean MFC is bad by anymeans. Just dont think in today's games it really has a place. Im sure there are some out there, but there is alot better for gaming. Didnt mean it would kill the app.
--X
Friends don't let friends use MFC. If you need to do something Windows-UI heavy, use WinForms.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by xsirxx
Weight, cost.

I totally misread your post. I thought you were saying there would be a speed bonus of some kind, but that it wasn't worth the effort. But looking back, I have no idea how I read it that way. Sorry about that.
Quote:
I totally misread your post. I thought you were saying there would be a speed bonus of some kind, but that it wasn't worth the effort. But looking back, I have no idea how I read it that way. Sorry about that.

O heh, I figured something was wrong, but hey there are some die hard MFC fans out there, games or not. Can never be too sure when you make any comment about it :). You know some heated debate will happen.
--X
Thanks for the answers. I was wondering that if MFC can speed up the creation of the game. But most of you say its not needed if i am not creating a civilisation like game....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement