Using Dialogs as resources (Win32)

Started by
11 comments, last by xegoth 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I'm working on an app in Win32, and I'm having problems getting the main window set up. At the moment, I've got a hard-coded, programmatically created window working, with a Menu as a resource. I've also got part of that menu which can open a separate About dialogue box as a resource, so that's fine. What I want to be able to do is to create my main app window as a Dialog resource complete with buttons, text boxes etc, and load it when the program starts instead of hardcoding every single control. However, I'm unsure how to do it, and the tutorials I've found online cause VC++ to throw errors. The main problem is I can get the custom dialogue resource to display, I just can't get the callback working with it (it won't respond to button clicks etc.). Here's my code to show the dialogue resource on screen:

MainWindow=CreateDialog(hInstance,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_DIALOG1),0,0);
ShowWindow(MainWindow,SW_SHOWNORMAL);

As you can see, the lack of response is called by me not including the callback function in those parameters. However, when I swap the second zero in CreateDialog to the name of my callback function, WndProcedure, I get: error C2664: 'CreateDialogParamA' : cannot convert parameter 4 from 'LRESULT (__stdcall *)(HWND,UINT,WPARAM,LPARAM)' to 'DLGPROC' 1> None of the functions with this name in scope match the target type even though I've seen this method used in several online tutorials. I'm not using MFC, it's straight Win32, and I'm stuck. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance, ukdeveloper. [Edited by - ukdeveloper on July 25, 2005 6:14:40 PM]
Advertisement
You are using 0 where you need to supply the DlgProc. Here is my entire main.cpp from a project I wrote a week ago. Note that, this dialog box only responds to events, it can't do anything like render a picture at 30fps or anything that didn't require an even to have run.

[source="cpp"]int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance,HINSTANCE hPrevInst,LPSTR Arg,int nCmdShow){            hInst = hInstance;            DialogBox(hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_DLG_MAIN), NULL, MainDlgProc);        return true;}CALLBACK MainDlgProc(HWND hDlg, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){    HRESULT hRes;    switch(msg)     {        case WM_COMMAND:            switch( LOWORD(wParam) )            {                case IDC_BTN_LIGHTAMB:                {                    //DialogBox(hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_DLG_LIGHTING), NULL, MainDlgProc);                }break;                            case IDC_BTN_RENDER:                {                    Render();                                    }break;                                default:                    return false; // Didn't handle message            }break;                    case WM_ACTIVATE:        {            if (LOWORD(wParam) == WA_ACTIVE);                           }break;                case WM_INITDIALOG:                    {                //grab all the controls                  hStcRender = GetDlgItem(hDlg,IDC_STC_RENDER);                        SetWindowText(hDlg,APP_TITLE);                                        SetWindowText(hStcRender,"");                                    RenderInit(hStcRender);            Render();                                }break;        case WM_NOTIFY:            break;        //window being destroyed        case WM_CLOSE:        case WM_QUIT:        case WM_DESTROY:            RenderShutdown();            EndDialog(hDlg,0);            break;         default:            return false; // Didn't handle message    }    return TRUE;}
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
You are using 0 where you need to supply the DlgProc.

That's what I was trying to do. And I get the error I mentioned when doing precisely that, I can't fathom it, it shouldn't do it.

Have you tried casting? As in, "CreateDialog(hInstance,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_DIALOG1),0,(DLGPROC)MainDlgProc);"?
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Quote:Original post by TDragon
Have you tried casting? As in, "CreateDialog(hInstance,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_DIALOG1),0,(DLGPROC)MainDlgProc);"?

That fixed it [smile]!

Thank you both for your help!

No problem. Do you happen to be using C++ rather than C? If so, it's the difference in strictness that causes this -- but that's a good thing. If not, congratulations on using good C compiler with strict argument checking.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
At first glance, the return type of your dialog procedure is nor specified. From what I read in the platform SDK it should be INT_PTR. I Don't think that just casting away the problem is the way to go in that case.
Look again :D -- that's Vampyre_Dark's code, not the OP's.
Quote:Original post by VolkerG
At first glance, the return type of your dialog procedure is nor specified. From what I read in the platform SDK it should be INT_PTR. I Don't think that just casting away the problem is the way to go in that case.

1 -- That's not the op's source.

2 -- that is how MS makes their own DLGProcs from the direct x source samples.

Thanks for all your help.

Actually, there's another problem:

The dialog box appears at startup, but it is locked in position and can't be moved (the position has to be hardcoded using the resource file). The caption also won't appear on the title bar, even though it shows up in the resource file. Also, the system menu and X buttons on the dialog frame at the top don't work.

The buttons work, though. Bringing up another dialog using IDOK causes my app to freeze.

Any ideas? Might there be a problem in my Callback or something?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement