2d graphics for c++

Started by
4 comments, last by POLSKASH 18 years, 8 months ago
how do you create 2d graphics in c++? i have no clue, but i do know c++.
Advertisement
You need to use a graphics library. Popular choices for doing 2D graphics include Allegro or SDL.
The best way to go about displaying graphics in C++ is to use one of the graphics libraries available on the net. The two most common 2d libraries used here are SDL and Allegro. Either of these libraries will allow you to quickly and easilly start drawing 2d images to the screen, as well as providing you with the functionallity you need for many other systems in a game. They both are relatively easy to learn and many tutorials exist for them. Just pick one and go with it.
I use Allegro and I like it alot. If you're a book person, pick up Game Programming All In One, 2nd Edition by Jonathan S. Harbour. It is entirely on programming in Allegro and has the libraries on a CD, which to me is somewhat easier than downloading a bunch of abstract stuff from a website if you don't know what you're looking for exactly.
I would also suggest using Allegro, because mostly it focuses on more simple programming aspects.
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
Quite frankly, ID3DXSprite is a GodSend. I'm very satisfied with it. I use it for everything 2D, and it's braindead easy to use. Sprites, particles, whatever, and I've had no performance issues yet. I can't say much about Allegro or SDL because I haven't used them.
There are some things so stupid that only an intellect could believe them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement