• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
enzox13

Using real people that are dead?

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I,m working on a doom mod with one my freinds using zDoom. Its going to be a boxing game. Now i really wanted to use real people but i know i cant use living pros but i was thinking about well remebered boxers that happen to be dead like Jack Johnson. Now boxers like Jack within the last year has had a tv movie, some shows on pbs, and a bunch of books (and still more coming out)all about him and his life. Now do people have deals to use dead people. Or can i use dead boxers if i dont use titles or pics from the shows.

Advertisement
If your making a MOD, no one should mind even if you use living boxers. They have the right to request (by lawfull channels if they want) that you remove the content.. But so long as your not charging for the game, and dont make them look like fools, nothing you do will be implicitly illegal. So, go for it, dead or allive. As far as I know :)

Yeah, they can sue for things like defamation of character, etc.

The better idea would be to change the name and likeness to the point where you're not longer liable. They do this all the time -- especially with games involving vehicles. (just think GTA). The likeness is *very* similar (Cheetah = Ferarri Testarossa), but the name isn't. Obviously, since it's ZDoom, it's not going to be photographic quality faces anyway.

Oh, and the thread subject is very misleading... makes me wonder why I clicked on it. Curiosity, I suppose.

How much money you charge is meaningless (making it free doesn't change anything, all it can do is lower the damages a judge orders you to pay), the only difference it makes is that a game not being sold on a store shelf is less likely to get noticed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!