• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Redesh

Question before starting.

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all. I have two questions to an experienced game developer. How hard would it be to create a very graphical and highly detailed MMOSTBS (Massive Multiplayer Simultaneous Turn Based Strategy game) using Visual Basic.net? (From scratch preferrably) And for game developers using Visual Basic.net. What direction in learning should I go after learning all of the fundamentals of VB.net(about 98% done with this) to help in making a game of this type?

Advertisement
What do you mean by 'Simultaneous Turn Based?' You mean like Laser Squad Nemesis?

But I suppose it doesn't matter. The Only thing that would be a stretch is the MASSIVE part.

I'm sure it could be done, but I don't think VB.Net would be well suited for an MMO server.

But I don't see why the client couldn't be written in VB.Net.

I can't comment on VB, but a project of this size and scope is way out of range for a beginner (which i'm humbly assuming you are, since you are fairly new and you are addressing more experienced programmers in your post). That's not to say that it's unattainable, but you should probably work on some smaller projects first, with the thought of building experience and code you can reuse for another bigger project. I would also suggest you pair down your idea by dropping the "massive", as suggested, and possible even the "multiplayer" part too. I would be surprised if someone even got it working in single player, to be honest.

What I mean by "Simultaneous Turn Based" is like Civilization III multiplayer simultaneous system where the the players share the same turn.

For example

TURN STARTS... Player 1 attacks Player 2's city while Player 3 attacks Player 1s city TURN ENDS

Edit... leiavoia do you mean it's not possible to make an MMOSTBS game with VB.net or I can't do it because of my current skills? I think I'll take your advice about doing smaller projects.

Depends on:

1) What number qualifies as massive.
2) If simultaneous is "Real time turn based" or "Turn based turn based" for lack of clearer terms*.

* What I mean by number 2 is this: does it matter what order, in real time, players enter their commands? Freeciv is an example of this "Turn based real time", the movement of all units happens immediately as it is entered - e.g. player 1 may move unit A to position B, then player 2 attack unit A with unit C at that new position B. However, each unit has a maximum of N moves per turn, which if all are expended, leaves the unit immobile until the next turn is usured in.

The opposite (and easier) would be truely turn based play. Stars! is an example of this, a space strategy game, where players enter in waypoints for their fleets to investigate/attack/resupply at/etc, and all these actions occur "simultaiously" - e.g. after all players have submitted their turns.

There's also truely turn based movement, where one player moves after another. Having to wait for a "massive" number of players to go before you can even start selecting what you want to do, however, would make for a very long waiting game, and thus is badly suited to "massive" games of any sort :-).

What i mean is that, even with a decent amount of experience, you are looking at 3+ years of development, and that's if you have an audio/visual team and people helping you compile on different platforms, testing, etc. If it's just you by yourself, you're looking at 3-5 years to get something completed, if you have good art skills and you work like a dog. Several dogs even.

Considering that it takes a commercial game dev company ~2 years to crank out a decent title with a full-blown art team, programming team, design group, etc, all with a multimillion dollar budget, to think someone could do the same thing in their spare time is silly.

That doesn't mean you couldn't produce something entertaining though. Persistance pays off. But taking on your dream project right out of the gate will lead to frustration of unreachable depths.

To MaulingMonkey

1) I was thinking 200 as a maximum and 40 as a minimum for each server but now I think 8 to 40 with players creating their own servers and different sized maps that are kind of on the small scale so the games get finished. Plus maybe single player option too.

2) Simultaneous means real time turn based and units have move points. The second option you described was Play by e-mail which I dislike.

Now that I have simplified my game idea does anyone think it's still possible? :\

Guest Anonymous Poster
Here is an excellent rule that I've learned to be true, as have everyone I've known:

If you are new to programming and this is your first game project, do not make it multiplayer. I repeat, if this is your first project, do not make it multiplayer. You will not finish it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Same AP as above:

"1) I was thinking 200 as a maximum and 40 as a minimum for each server but now I think 8 to 40 with players creating their own servers and different sized maps that are kind of on the small scale so the games get finished. Plus maybe single player option too."

This is way, way too ambitious.

Try making the tile-based map first, so that you can load it from a file and just scroll around on it. Come back in a month and let us know how it's shaping up :)

Once you've created the map loading / scrolling system, you've finished the easiest 1% of the game...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!