• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Timus

Hello from your bohemian friend.

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I recently became interested in the world of programming, never having the necesarry resources at my disposal I downloaded 'The Barebones Guide to HTML' and have since pretty much memorized it, I was soon designing top quality web pages for the various bands at my school (Our school has a top rate music program, so naturally a lot of bands form), but alas, I was soon replaced with a friend of mine who became skilled with Flash. Trying to out do him (as many a man would despite how much of a spite filled act it is.) I learnt Visual Basic, our school happened to have a copy of VB6 on the computers with a 12 page tutorial. Knowing only the basic I (and my independent ways) taught myself how to mould it, and soon began creating programs a lot like paint but using twips rather than pixels, I also created clients for several video games and was praised for my work. But of course, Flash strikes again with the discovery of 'action script'. By year nine I had become accustomed to a life (or school life) of mediocrity, that was until I showed my friend something I had written during a spare period and thought he'd get a laugh out of it, this short story called 'Time and Space' (Which has been posted on many a forum and ripped off by many an immoral person) was my first truly great and truly unique work. Soon enough I became obsessed with my writing, writing scripts, mailing writers with movie plots (And getting them back with the same old 'Solicit this first' message...friggin' beuracracy). I would spend lunchtimes soaking in the environment and writing imaginitive pieces of literature, all my english teachers gave me A's, but when I asked for some constructive criticism they all said the same thing 'The writing is great, you must've spent weeks perfecting a unique language for the different races in your story, and the description of your world, the politics and religions are flawless, but you need better storylines' It was true, most of the time my stories where either based on real events with different characters (I once done a story based on the events that took place in Russia from 1917 to 1991, my english teacher thought I ripped off Animal Farm before I had even read it). Anyway, and I am getting quite close to my point now, though I may come off as a pseudo-intellectual sanctimonious a-hole, I am really just a humble linguistic bohemian who wishes to help many 'groups' not with my mediocre programming abilities but with my brilliant brainstorms. I have one huge idea for a good side scrolling MMORPG (By good, I mean NOT maple story ((Sorry if you like that game)) that would be like 'The Action of Contra meets combat of Matrix and the Skills of [WoW, RuneScape, EverQuest]' I am currently developing plans for a weaponless combat system, and will soon start development of skills. E-mail me if you're intrigued by my ideas at Fatimus@Gmail.com

Advertisement
You could always join the discussion in Game Design if you like, we discuss a lot of (sometimes very interesting) ideas in there and I'm sure people would love another point of view.

As for people developing your ideas, I've got far too many of my own at the moment, but you might be able to find someone who's interested, and if you make enough interesting posts with good ideas I'm sure you'll eventually attract some attention.

Anyways, welcome to GDNet. [smile]

Thank you Kazgoroth.

I realised the lack of response may be because of the length of the post, so in summarry.

Hello!

You may wish to check out the help wanted forums. Be skeptical of pretty much everthing in there but maybe you can find a quality team looking for someone to flesh out universe histories to doing plots for unfolding RPGs.

Anyways, Welcome to GameDev.net. Wander around, and check out the links at the top of the site, *most* of them have useful information. :)

welcome.

It sounds like you spend alot of time observing the world around you and seeing how things work, etc. .Which is great for figuring out how the world("setting of the story") should be.
How much time do you spend reading other peoples stories/watching movies etc? I think this would help you develop storyline ideas alot if you dont already do it.

Luckily MMORPGs dont tend to have a story(worth mentioning) so you probably have all the skills necessary to design one already if you can come up with believable worlds/environments. :P

*fantasizes about MMORPGs with good storylines*

I am a movie buff and am paticularly interested in classical literature (Wuthering Heights, Animal Farm, 1984, Moby Dick.) and philosophical science fiction works (Do androids dream about electric sheep, A clockwork orange, 2001: Space odyseey, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is filled with many a mathematical paradox, such as the infinity divided by finity explanation).

Right now I'm observing the game design forums, to be honest I like what I see, not the originality more of the lack of, and questioning. This forum is a veritable gold mine to someone like me. Not to generalise, afterall I'm sure there are many unique members that ocassionally emerge, and I have already seen a few grand ideas that I would love to play.

However I will check out the help wanted section, and once I've finished my website I will allow truly interested parties to access my website and view my ideas.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!