• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
m3rcyful ag3nt

where to start?

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there I don´t have a good maths basis, and I was thinking about purchasing the book "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development". Is this a good book to start or should I get another one first before this one? Cheers

Advertisement
Start Here. Also read the info in here.

It's generally a bad idea to jump straight into 3d - you can try if you like, but you may not get very far. I recommend Beginning C++ Game Programming as a good book you could potentially start with instead. Beginning Game Programming is also supposedly quite good, but I havn't read it - a friend of mine is going through it now, and seems to be doing well. For now, learning a programming language is more important than learning maths or specific game techniques.

Hope that helps you, feel free to ask if you have any further questions. [smile]

I already have beginning c++ game programming. I want to have a firm grasp in c++ before jumping into more complex things.
However I was looking at the beginners book section here on gamedev, and I thought perhaps I could start learning some basic math to develop my problem solving skills. :)

Well, I'd still hold off on that particular book until you feel you're ready to work in 3d, a lot of the stuff (LOD calculation for example) won't really be useful to you until you're actually ready to try some of it out. Feel free to buy it just to read through and start learning in the meantime if you can afford it, but I personally wouldn't bother unless you're moving into learning some 3d. It does explain things well for beginners though, so you'll probably be alright with it in any case.

Math never hurts, especially when you are doing 3D (matrices, vectors, etc.). But before you jump into 3D graphics, make sure you have 2D down first, because as far as I know, BCPPGP teaches you how to make DOS games, i.e. no graphics at all. What API do you want to use? Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 hrs. uses Cpp with Win32 (I have it, it's a good book.). If you want to use DX or OGL, I'm sure you could find something on amazon.

It really depends on what type of stuff you want to do. If you are planning on doing 3D stuff, then a book linear algebra book is what to start with. For physics related stuff, I found the O'Reilly "Physics for Game dev." to be pretty good, although it isn't targetted towards beginning physics programming. A freshman level physics book would probably suffice. Asides from strong basic algebra skills, an understanding of linear algebra (matrix and vector operations) and newtonian physics is all you would need for a good base to begin learning graphics programming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!