• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moagstar

BFGS Minimisation

This topic is 4863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to understand how BFGS minimisation works, I have read through the chapter on minimisation in Numerical Recipes in C, although it's a bit confusing, I get the jist of the technique. But when I actually try and do something practical with it I hit a brick wall. The problem I am trying to solve is that of lobe fitting with Zonal Harmonics. Basically there is an error function which calculates how well a particular lobe fits a signal, and this is the function that is to be minimised. The function is dependant upon two variables, s* the lobe axis (A Scalar Quantity) and g* the lobe coefficients (A Vector Quantity). So the function is something like this E(g*, s*) = ... And i have two gradient functions (with respect to each of the variables) dE --- = ... dg* dE --- = ... ds* But I don't really see how 2D functions work with BFGS, is there something I am missing, or does anyone have any links that could help me. Many Thanks EDIT : Here are some links in case you find them useful : The paper I'm trying to understand Specifically the section on single lobe fitting using BFGS Numerical Recipes in C

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!