• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
code_nerd

Old-School "Dungeon Crawling" Game Engine!?

This topic is 4770 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I myself and a couple of friends that are quite good coders and grafic designers plan to make a little game like the oldschool d&d game "eye of the beholder" My question, are there any ressources for engines, like this? Best would be if they were coded in C#, because thats our language of choice. The game is best explained with these screenshots i guess: http://www.rpguides.de/dnd/screenshot.php?id=13 (some pictures of the game) Or if anybody can post a "walkthrough" how to develop such engines would be fine, at least the EOB engine can't be so big (IMHO), because the whole game fits on two 1.44 disks. Please post any helpful ressources you know. Many thanks in advantage!

Advertisement
labels, buttons, images - nothing realtime by the looks of it.
I would go for GDI+(or whatever the new gdi is called) IIRC it can display images.

"at least the EOB engine can't be so big (IMHO), because the whole game fits on two 1.44 disks"

- Don't expect the same type of system requirements though, as the end-user will need the .NET framework installed and the RAM usage alone is 32MB just for starting the framework.

Just use GDI+ it would work perfectly for that type of game and would be absolutely simple.

ok thanks, i will take a look in GDI+.

Another question, i found an editor* that does nearly what i seek
(neverless i want to code my own), is it best to write
an editor for such a game or do straight coding?
What is easier in the end?

And, if the editor is the better choice (what i expect),
how does this work at all?
If i have the level designed, how can i actually make a game out
of it? Any ressources how to build these "editors" out there?

* http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1754&package_id=7276

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!