• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BlackWind

Homebrew games and official license...

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i have big question.... is it possible to make and distribuite legal and commercial games without the license of the manufacturer companay of "x" console? for example, using the KallistiOS to build dreamcast games or the ps2 LinuxToolkit and sell them legally wihtout the license of sega or sony??? or why does they say (the KallistiOS's programmers) that you can use it for commercial games???

Advertisement
The answer is a pretty solid no. (And the libraries say you can, because, well, you *can* but you'll also need a license...)

Consoles don't make any money for the companies (some even sell them at a loss), it is the game licensing that brings in the $$$, so they'll fight tooth and nail for it.

You won't be able to sell games that will work on unmodified consoles without a platform license for that console (basically, Sony does their Q/A on the game, and it gets a rating from the ESRB). I'm not sure exactly how much that would cost, but you can be sure that it ain't cheap, or everyone and their mother would be doing PS2 development right now.

The problem with doing a PS2 game with the linux kit is that anyone who wants to play the game will have to have the linux kit as well - probably not very many people. The only thing i've actually heard of linux on the PS2 is the playstation "supercomputer".
If you want to do more traditional games you're going to need to get approval from Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. You're also going to need some serious money.

so, it may sound stupid but..... do i need to pay them (sony, nintendo , ms) to make games for their consoles?...is it only once?, of for each game??

I don't do console dev, but my understanding is that you have to pay for the right to make games on the console, and also have to pay a fee for every game sold. You also have to send the game to Sony or Microsoft's quality assurance department and get they're ok before you can sell it.

Some of the rumors i've heard are that the Nintendo Revolution might be a bit more friendly toward home brew dev. But those are only rumors, and i'd be surprised if this was actually the case.

This is a legal question, and probably belongs more in the Business forum. Moving.

Quote:
Original post by BlackWind
hi, i have big question....
is it possible to make and distribuite legal and commercial games without the license of the manufacturer companay of "x" console?
No. You need a license.

Quote:
...or why does they say (the KallistiOS's programmers) that you can use it for commercial games???
Some tools are released under open source or freeware licenses that prohibit their use for commercial purposes. What the KallistiOS guys mean is that you are allowed/able to use KallistiOS to develop a commercial game. However developing is seperate from publishing and they don't have the right to grant you permision to publish.

Quote:
Original post by BlackWind
so, it may sound stupid but..... do i need to pay them (sony, nintendo , ms) to make games for their consoles?...is it only once?, of for each game??
Some of the info posted above is incorrect....
1. It costs nothing to become an official licensed developer, but...
2. Console makers will only grant a license to companies that are financially stable and (in their opinion) capable of developing good commercial games.
3. Once licensed it costs several thousands of dollars to buy the official development systems - in reality it does cost money to be able to develop.
4. A developer can't publish games - for that you need to be a licensed publisher. The level of financial stability needed for this is much higher than for a developer because you have to pay up front for games you want to publish.
5. Once the game is complete the publisher has to pay the console company (in advance) to manufacture the game. They also have to pay a per unit license fee (in the region of $8 per unit) for every copy of the game made. Publishing console games is expensive!

Console publishing really isn't a viable option for a small indie developer.

Quote:
Original post by Obscure
1. It costs nothing to become an official licensed developer, but...
2. Console makers will only grant a license to companies that are financially stable and (in their opinion) capable of developing good commercial games.
3. Once licensed it costs several thousands of dollars to buy the official development systems - in reality it does cost money to be able to develop.
4. A developer can't publish games - for that you need to be a licensed publisher. The level of financial stability needed for this is much higher than for a developer because you have to pay up front for games you want to publish.
5. Once the game is complete the publisher has to pay the console company (in advance) to manufacture the game. They also have to pay a per unit license fee (in the region of $8 per unit) for every copy of the game made. Publishing console games is expensive!

Console publishing really isn't a viable option for a small indie developer.

....thousands of dollars to get the official development systems????
and may i ask.....
how can a company obtain the license for developing games for "x" company??.
You said that it has to pass some "tests", but how can i get in contact with nintendo (for example)??, by mail????

Quote:
how can a company obtain the license for developing games for "x" company??.
You said that it has to pass some "tests", but how can i get in contact with nintendo (for example)??, by mail????

Try here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!