Trouble with SDL / OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by lem77 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am absolute noob to game programming. I started a programm with SDL and OpenGL on a very basic level (drawing textured quads and stuff ). Everything went fine, but now I started on doing some alpha blending, but always textures are drawn completly opaque. I load them with my textureload-function (which I saw hundreds of times on the web), but nothing seems to work :( I´m desperate and was searching the web for stuff regarding opengl sdl alphablending, but I can´t find whats wrong. I post some of my routines, maybe one of u guys can see whats going wrong and/or help me on pixelformat, as I suppose, there is something wrong (at least I dont understand it really) Thanx a lot. My OpenGL Init looks like this: SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 5 ); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 5 ); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 5 ); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ALPHA_SIZE, 5 ); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1 ); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, m_nScreenDepth); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_STENCIL_SIZE, 0); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ACCUM_RED_SIZE, 0); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ACCUM_GREEN_SIZE, 0); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ACCUM_BLUE_SIZE, 0); SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_SIZE, 0); I´m loading textures that way: SDL_LoadBMP(sFileName.c_str() conv = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE, bitmap->w, bitmap->h, 32, #if SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_BIG_ENDIAN 0xff000000, 0x00ff0000, 0x0000ff00, 0x000000ff); #else 0x000000ff, 0x0000ff00, 0x00ff0000, 0xff000000); #endif SDL_BlitSurface(bitmap, 0, conv, 0); glGenTextures(1, &texture.uiID); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture.uiID); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,iMinFilter); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,iMagFilter); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, iWrapS); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, iWrapT); glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH, conv->pitch / conv->format->BytesPerPixel); if (bMipMap) { glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH, 0); gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 3, conv->w, conv->h, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, conv->pixels); } else glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, conv->w, conv->h, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, conv->pixels); } m_TextureInfo[sName] = texture; SDL_FreeSurface(bitmap); SDL_FreeSurface(conv);
Advertisement
Well the most likely reason is that your bitmap doesn't actually contain any alpha components. Also I don't see you call glBlendFunc() or glEnable(GL_BLEND).
Thanks for answering to that "stupid" post.

I don´t know how to post source-code correctly in the forum , and I didn´t want to spam the message with unreaable code.

Basically I´m using the 3DSprite examplae from GPG1.

<code>
// use material
CMaterialManager::GetSingleton().Use(m_sMaterialName);

// draw the sprite
glBegin(GL_QUADS);

glColor4f(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, m_fAlpha);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f);
glVertex3f(-m_iWidth/2, -m_iHeight/2, 0);

glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f);
glVertex3f(-m_iWidth/2, m_iHeight/2, 0);

glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f);
glVertex3f(m_iWidth/2, m_iHeight/2, 0);

glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f);
glVertex3f(m_iWidth/2, -m_iHeight/2, 0);

glEnd();
</code>

My Use-Material function looks like this:

<code>
if ( m_bBlending )
{
glEnable( GL_BLEND );
glBlendFunc( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE );
glDisable( GL_CULL_FACE );
glDisable( GL_DEPTH_TEST );
glDepthMask( 0 );
}
</code>

While initialising the sprite class, I give an alpha value like "0.5f"

BTW I am using the texture from Nehe´s tutorial 8 (about transparency), so this should be 32bit / contain an alpha channel.

HELP :)
Is it possible, that library exported GL-calls aren´t executed? When I´m debbuging all values seem to be in order (reading material from xml, buildung object structure for material, use it)
Thanks
To post code use the
 and your code here....
[smile]. Hmm it will automaticly turn it into a code block so click on edit on my poste and look.
32bit bitmaps don't have an Alpha channel.

so you need to have an image saved to a format that uses one
(png?) and use SDL_Image to load the image in.
 void say_thanx(void){   cout << "thx. as i said i am using the texture from nehe blending tutorial" << endl;}
[wink]

i think i throw out the code and do it again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement