• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrDoomMaster

DirectSound and XM Files

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a couple of synthesized XM files that I want to configure DirectSound to load and play as a BGM in my 2D game. I also would like to implement support for other synthesized filetypes in the future as well, such as OGM and MOD. For now, I'm primarily asking about XM files. Is there any API available that allows XM files in DirectSound / DirectMusic? Thanks!

Advertisement
All module playing libraries I've ever seen handled the output manually. Some of them probably support streaming to memory too but that'd quite a kludge..
Why not just use some existing library for all of the audio playback, or at least for the music?

Perhaps you could hack minifmod into doing it for you, it very small and does output to DirectSound after all.

I wrote a MOD player that could stream to DirectSound myself and even that was a lot of work (mostly in getting the instruments *right*). XM playback is a lot harder so I can't recommend writing it yourself, it may be a fun challenge though.

I think the MikMod library supports DirectSound output, and if I remember correctly, you could tell it to use a DirectSound device that you made instead of having it make its own device. It's been a long time, though.

Quote:
Original post by MrDoomMaster
So can anyone point me to a good premade library that supports a lot of synthesized filetypes? I'm going to check out MikMod.
Well, MikMod is pretty good (last I heard the author was working on adding OGG support too).
FMod and BASS are both popular too, although they do have some commercial restrictions.
You should check out BASS's compressed module format (MO3) if you're planning to use XMs, the converter handles all popular formats.

Well the output doesn't have to be DirectSound, I just need whatever API I use to not really degrade the performance of my game. If it performs well, I don't mind it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!