2D pipeline -- ARM cycles?!

Started by
3 comments, last by MustEatYemen 18 years, 8 months ago
Urgently need some help I am trying to estimate the MIPS required to process graphics for a typical 2D game, and would very much like to find an approximate breakdown of what it takes to perfrom each operation of the 2D pipeline. The assumpions are -- ARM7/9, no hw acceleration, QVGA screen size. In addition, how do I estimate the memory bandwidth requirements for same. Thanks in advance, HW Guy
Advertisement
This isn't an easy question to answer without knowing the specifications of your hardware (instruction set, instruction latency, memory latency, bus latency...) and what exactly your 2D pipeline does. Even with that info it's a lot of work, so I suggest you state what you want to accomplish and maybe someone can tell you if it's doable.
What hardware? GBA or Cellphones (or something else?)
The biggest thing I've seen (in cellphones) is slow lcd refresh rates and very slow bitblt's. This comes down to speed of the the memory on the devices, which is usually a limiting factor. Mind you Cellphones have been improving a hell of alot, but their still below dedicated gaming hardware (GBA,nGage etc).

Getting your hands on real specs for cellphones is very hard, it will very even on the same model occasionally. I'd suggest creating a test application, and do fullscreen transparent blits to gauge the speed.
-Scott
Quote:Original post by MustEatYemen
Mind you Cellphones have been improving a hell of alot, but their still below dedicated gaming hardware (GBA,nGage etc).

N-Gage have no dedicated hardware. It hase exactly same hardware as Nokia 7650 and Nokia 3650. The only difference is amount of memory.
True, the nGage is just a Series 60 phone in a fancy wrapper.
A comparison of s60's.
http://www.newlc.com/article.php3?id_article=619
-Scott

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement